Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Martha Kearney

Sounds like there are a lot of five legged queens in some people's apiaries, could this be one of the reasons that there's alleged to be a lot of early supercedure compared to the past; cack-handed clipping?

I have to admit my clipping wasn't always the best when I used little fly tying scissors. I'm much improved now I'm using embroidery snips which I think cost about two quid from Ebay.

And re the Martha programme - I despair! The fence post artificial swarm was the "pinnacle" of it this week to say nothing of the Heidi Hermann segment.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    I have to admit my clipping wasn't always the best when I used little fly tying scissors. I'm much improved now I'm using embroidery snips which I think cost about two quid from Ebay.

And re the Martha programme - I despair! The fence post artificial swarm was the "pinnacle" of it this week to say nothing of the Heidi Hermann segment.
    Funnily enough my own progression was exactly the opposite from embroidery to fly tying scissors (some good ones on the market with relatively large bows suitable for old fingers that have suffered years of 'facing' the makiwara). I wonder if anyone ever actually uses those miniature sheep shear scissors that some firms are selling?

Heidi H. As I predicted, with the assistance of being edited into the slot straight after the Master beekeeper's ridiculous claim that a large proportion of clipped queens (I can't remember the exact wording) loose a back leg, came across as a far more balanced supporter of bee welfare.
    Last edited by prakel; 30-04-2014 at 08:25 AM.

[QUOTE=prakel;24879] I wonder if anyone ever actually uses those miniature sheep shear scissors that some firms are selling?

Yes, I use them and they work a treat. No worries about getting gloved fingers into the bows.

To be honest, the Master's demonstration was the first time I'd ever seen anyone clip a queen with gloves on; I look on gloves as a way to keep fingers clean of propolis/honey so that we can handle queens or put workers into cages etc.

I've often wondered how well those shears work, they look OK for sure.
    Last edited by prakel; 30-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.

I do all my marking and clipping gloved Prakel - unless from a mininuc where I go ungloved. I use the kid gloves from Thornes and buy a size too small so that they're very snug fitting. I'm not sure how anyone can work with bees with oversized gloves which are loose on the fingers - I need the dexterity of close fitting gloves if I'm going to use gloves at all. For clipping and marking I use a crown of thorns cage which despite its reputation I can use very safely by clearing most of the bees from around the queen before putting it into position over her. And the embroidery snips I mentioned are the little mini sheep shears. Love them - I find them much better than scissors. The flytying ones I had, had extremely fine, sharp ends which are needed when it comes to flytying but not so much for wing clipping

And another thing - good flytying scissors are bleedin expensive and rather delicate. Dropping them on a hard surface even the once can put paid to their useful life.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    For clipping and marking I use a crown of thorns cage which despite its reputation I can use very safely by clearing most of the bees from around the queen before putting it into position over her.
    A major difference in methods there. I write from the perspective of someone who holds the queen in hand while clipping. No specific reason other than that's how I was originally shown. Lots of initial practice picking workers up -I was never sold on the idea of practicing on drones; if we're doing it this way it strikes me that we need to feel some kind of pressure to make sure sure that we're not fooling ourselves. Perfect practice makes Perfect

Looks like these shears are quite popular.

I completely agree Prakel. If you're picking queens up then generally bare handed is the only way to do it if you're going to avoid damaging her. I don't handle queens too much to be honest. Usually if I do it'll be something to do with my queen rearing and I'll be in and about a mininuc at the time. Having said that I have "hatched" the occasional virgin on to my gloved hands before putting them where they need to be.

Blog Entries

dont really see any need to clip at all any more.
    If you are on top of the weekly checks, and not tearing out the queen cups you'll always know before a colony swarms.005.jpg. Saw this on a hive of a guy buying colonies from me on sunday. Perfect for the "lift" control method!.. Now to presuade my metalshop guy to make me some....