Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martha Kearney

I watched last night - with my wife who is hardly interested except as an observer. Lots to criticise IF you are experienced - but for the uneducated (in bees!) mass of viewers, it made sensible viewing.. Yes, lots of errors (and Martha's gauntlets were so filthy they required to be burnt ) but it was a simplified and rather dumbed down program well worth watching - even if only to spot the errors and deliberate obvious lies...

She has been keeping bees for a number of years (So I read) so she is not as dumb about beekeeping as she tried to portray..presumably that was the producers.

Some nice photography....

I'm going to try really hard not to moan too much about this programme! It's nice to see beekeeping on the screen for one thing. Plus we had realistic statements about habitat and varroa. Next week there's the prospect of neonics being covered so that'll be er......interesting. One thing which did grate was her saying beekeeping has been her passion for some years and she just spotted the queen for herself for the first time in the episode!

Given last night's second episode I suspect Martha has been less than passionate about her beekeeping for the last ten years. There - I've had a moan! Sorry!

I'm beginning to wonder whether we're going to see a backlash from the otherwise uninformed against the so called traditional beekeepers and their practices. Pro swarm Heidi Herrmann next week sharing the programme with a Master beekeeper clipping wings which follows this week's look at bees gaffer-taped into tubes.

If we're allowed to be a bit critical I'd say I was a bit disappointed by the emphasis put on "in fact a number of people die from bee stings every year" & the aggressive hive she is scared of
    Yes a number but a very small number (less than 5 ?)out of a population of 63.23 million of us
    I think you'd be six times or so more likely to be killed by lightning than a bee in the UK

I also suspect there'll be a less than critical evaluation of the so-called "sun" hives and their attendant nonsense but maybe I'm being unfair. The thing is though - they could have made a great series by following an experienced charismatic beekeeper through a season. Instead we have this with someone who basically disnae know her arse from her elbow when it comes to beekeeping.

Blog Entries

yes, I caught that programme, good for growing roses.
    Even my non beekeeping wife (who does put up with alot of my beekeeping blether) was noticing things that were incorrect.

Blog Entries

Have you got a beekeeping wife as well Calum?
    Should have watched the programme with her instead!

Blog Entries

Hi,
    I'd say there are a couple of them on the side, mostly brown haired, a couple of redheads, - damnable buckies!
    I think the wife has figured that out already...

Martha opted for a Buckfast queen but its pity she didn't do something about the bad tempered hive after all
    They are not making that much honey considering the rape fields surrounding them (21 lbs I think)
    Anyway I'm pretty sure she could have done just as well with gentle bees