Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Martha Kearney

Blog Entries

It does not bode well when the preamble includes the phrase 'dramatic decline' when there is in fact no dramatic decline. In fact people who can count would call it an increase!
    There has been a significant increase in colony numbers this past few years according to none other than the BBKA and there were stories about London having too many beekeepers leading to a shortage of forage last year.

Trog. We are qualified as beekeepers to exactly the same level down to an identical weight of paper. What a coincidence.
    Last edited by Jon; 01-04-2014 at 08:43 AM.

Any idea when this is likely to be on? The link doesn't give any scheduling info unfortunately. Despite the shortcomings I'd still like to see it! It'll give me something to moan about if nothing else!

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Any idea when this is likely to be on? The link doesn't give any scheduling info unfortunately. Despite the shortcomings I'd still like to see it! It'll give me something to moan about if nothing else!
    1st episode is on 14th of April, not sure of time though.

Blog Entries

Martha K has an occasional blog here:

http://www.thewi.org.uk/campaigns/cu...rneys-bee-blog

She's been getting advice from John Everett - so I'm looking forward to a well-informed, interesting programme (despite the hyperbole dreamt up by the marketing department).

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    1st episode is on 14th of April, not sure of time though.
    Episode 1.
    BBC4.
    Monday 14th - 20:00
    repeat, Tuesday 15th - 01:30

Thanks Prakel. Should be an interesting watch.

Did anybody else watch this programme? I missed it live, but watched it online.

I thought it was, on the whole, fairly good as an information programme for non beekeepers. I wish she had worn clean gloves though.

I too thought that it was a sound enough programme, certainly fit for purpose. Having read some of the band-wagon reviews which appeared just after the initial broadcast I thought that it must be total dross but glad to say that it was just the internet experts living up to their usual standard of nitpicking because they can do so much better.

I just hope that it doesn't encourage too many new beekeepers to start putting hives on my patch. Bee evangelist I'm not, more of a selfish, territorial beekeeper personally

Default B B C 4 "Beekeeping"

Did anyone see last nights offering on BBC4 ?. What a complete load of old tosh. Badly made and with very dodgy content. It seems that to move a W B C hive you have to run the bees and frames into a neuc then take the empty hive plus neuc to site and re-unite everything. Another way of doing things I suppose. We ended in the best traditions of "soaps" with Varroa and D.V.W. I wonder what next week will bring ?.

I moved Grizzly's new thread into this one. G.
    Last edited by gavin; 15-04-2014 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    Did anyone see last nights offering on BBC4 ?. What a complete load of old tosh. Badly made and with very dodgy content. It seems that to move a W B C hive you have to run the bees and frames into a neuc then take the empty hive plus neuc to site and re-unite everything. Another way of doing things I suppose. We ended in the best traditions of "soaps" with Varroa and D.V.W. I wonder what next week will bring ?.

I moved Grizzly's new thread into this one. G.
    Next weeks is on "Verroa" whatever they are, according to the website !

I missed it last night but I must admit that I am glad programs about beekeeping are getting airtime. Rather that than X factor or the Voice, regardless of the fact they may be a bit inaccurate.

To be fair to the producers it must be almost impossible to avoid upsetting some beekeepers when making a program like this. Every beekeeper I have ever met has their own way of doing things !