Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martha Kearney

Default Martha Kearney

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01t6nz6

This series follows Martha Kearney’s bee-keeping year and explores the science, art and culture of the honeybee – the most ingenious insect known to humankind. As a keen amateur with no training, Martha is determined to up her game and harvest her first ever crop of wildflower honey. Martha seeks expert help to improve her beekeeping skills and investigates the science behind these extraordinary creatures and their dramatic decline in the British countryside.

Blog Entries

dramatic decline?
    Here we go again.
    Don't ya love the media.

"keen amateur with no training"

Ho hum

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    dramatic decline?
    Here we go again.
    Don't ya love the media.
    The wild honey bees declined 20 years ago. Why does nobody in the media care about that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    "keen amateur with no training"

Ho hum
    Surely the majority of us are keen amateurs?

And I have no paper qualifications in beekeeping so that might count as 'no training' ...

Hi Trog
    Of course, training does not equal qualifications ...
    Nothing at all wrong with being a keen amateur, and you're certainly correct it probably applies to many of us. However, the terms keen amateur and no training do appear a little contradictory. Perhaps I was hasty, but my view is that many amateurs rush headlong into keeping bees without getting enough training (not qualifications). It's pretty clear from looking at beginners going through our association that those that take advantage of the mentoring available, attend the winter talks on disease control, the talks at the conventions etc etc. are keen amateurs and, usually, end up as better beekeepers. Those that get bees as soon as possible, ignore the mentoring and never attend any talks often end up disappearing, leaving an un-inspected colony or two in the association apiary. I don't think I've got much in the way of paper qualifications, but I do my best to learn from the experienced people around me, from the RBI and from the commercial guys I know. I count all of that as training ...

Hi fatshark,

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I don't think I've got much in the way of paper qualifications, but I do my best to learn from the experienced people around me, from the RBI and from the commercial guys I know. I count all of that as training ...
    Much the same perhaps as:

As a keen amateur with no training, Martha is determined to up her game and harvest her first ever crop of wildflower honey. Martha seeks expert help to improve her beekeeping skills...

OK, I give up

I'm hoping that enough research has gone into this production to actually present a balanced overview. It would be a great shame to see such an opportunity squandered.

The negative view of course is that the timing, four weeks starting mid April, will encourage a few prospective beekeepers to have a go -that may not be so beneficial (to me)
    Last edited by prakel; 31-03-2014 at 04:49 PM.

On the edge of a mature pine forest, Kingussie, Inverness-shire

This will have been recorded last year and then edited etc. pity they can't be more up to the moment on these shows now everything is edited digitally. Can't be impossible to film one week a month and show it the next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk