Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Section honey?

I get asked all the time for cut comb and do a few frames each year. Similar to Gavin I just use a sharp knife and a cake slice to lift the comb. The ones I have made a mess off or not to size or weight I place in piece in a honey jar and top up with runny honey and sell it as chunk honey (at a higher price than the usual jar of honey)

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Superb, thanks ever so much for the advice. I think I'll stick to cut comb to begin with and see how it goes.

I bought some cut comb containers cheap from Thorne a couple of years ago, presume that was them clearing out the old design!

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    Superb, thanks ever so much for the advice. I think I'll stick to cut comb to begin with and see how it goes.

I bought some cut comb containers cheap from Thorne a couple of years ago, presume that was them clearing out the old design!
    Assuming from the above that you still have the old style containers, their '4C' sleeves (if you can get them) are well worth the few extra pence and turn a rather sad little tub into a far more attractive package all round. Purple and Red are good to my eye...

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Assuming from the above that you still have the old style containers, their '4C' sleeves (if you can get them) are well worth the few extra pence and turn a rather sad little tub into a far more attractive package all round. Purple and Red are good to my eye...
    That's the ones. I have found the 4C sleeves but Thornes are only selling them but bundled with yet more tubs!

So much for my original 'bargain'.

One to keep an eye open for at the association auction.

To get the right weight in the cut comb container, howmany frames do you put in the super? 9, 10, 11?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefever View Post
    To get the right weight in the cut comb container, howmany frames do you put in the super? 9, 10, 11?
    National on ten castellated spacing gets the combs as perfect as it can be, cappings just under cover of container with the majority of combs...or ten Manley frames are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wmfd View Post
    That's the ones. I have found the 4C sleeves but Thornes are only selling them but bundled with yet more tubs!

So much for my original 'bargain'.

One to keep an eye open for at the association auction.
    I see that there's a new variant of Thorne's type boxes on the market

http://northernbees.co.uk/images/Cut_comb_cartons.jpg

don't look quite as nice to me -not keen on the wbc image but overall I'd say that they look like a good alternative. The linked image is from 'northern bees' but they're available direct from Maisemore too.