Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Section honey?

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Default Section honey?

I am just about to start my fourth beekeeping year, and so far I have only extracted honey.

Some friends, and customers at a local shop, have asked about comb honey. I've got some thin unwired foundation which I was going to use in supers after we've got the OSR out of the way, especially if I can find some field beans.

I was wondering though, does anyone have views and experience of doing sections?

I have looked at traditional square sections and also Ross Rounds. I am put off dabbling by the high cost (particularly of the rounds) but both look good end products and seem easier than hacking up comb.

Does anyone have thoughts or experiences?

David

Just do cut comb. Then only expense is a knife to cut the comb into four or five pieces - each about 1/2 pound and some cut comb containers which are minimum cost. See how you get on then invest in sections if you find success.Remember bees don't like working in confined spaces so success with proper sections is a bit hit and miss.

I like the idea of cut comb but would like to find a nice container that better reflects the quality and effort of the product rather than the standard cut comb containers from main suppliers.

I did see a picture, can't remember if it was this forum or somewhere else but it was jars stacked upside down on a purpose built crownboard that the bees can build combs in the jars. If you could get the bees to draw that out well and cap it full of honey and top up the jar with extracted honey it might sell well.

Blog Entries

The new Thorne cut comb containers are much nicer and my cut comb flew off the shelves at the Dundee show, thanks to Feckless Drone's excellent marketing.

Cut comb (5 pieces from a well filled super comb) is easy. Here in prime heather migration country many produce cut comb but I don't know one person persisting with sections.

A well filled super could in theory produce 10 x 5 boxes at around £6 each, ie £300. Of course the reality is a lot less after wastage, poorly filled comb and all those free boxes I give my landladies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

I've received no interest in comb honey myself. And I do wonder if I trust myself to cut the comb and not make an almighty mess!
    Brothermoo, I also recall seeing the upturned jars - somewhere - maybe that's the way I should do it if I don't want to make a pigs ear of it!

Are there requirements for weight of comb to be shown on the box?

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    The new Thorne cut comb containers are much nicer
    I like the new cut comb containers, vast improvement to the old margarine tub type containers, the new type certainly sell much better because of this more attractive appearance.

Blog Entries

Thorne's sell a comb-cutter which is around £8 if I remember correctly. Makes the job very easy and much less messy. On an average size comb, each piece is exactly 8oz and the perfect size for the boxes. I then check the weights of each box with my Victorian scales and any underweight ones are marked as such and sold as 'seconds' or given away.

Hi all I was thinking of trying just one super of cut comb, but I've not had anybody ask me for it but do like it myself, I was wondering if you all thought it would sell or would I be stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crabbitdave View Post
    Hi all I was thinking of trying just one super of cut comb, but I've not had anybody ask me for it but do like it myself, I was wondering if you all thought it would sell or would I be stuck with it.
    At the Dundee show the cut comb always sells first. Folk come and seek us out, more for cut comb than jarred honey.

(Get your orders in early for mine before I sell it all again at the start of September ...... )

Blog Entries

I don't use a comb cutter but a long, thin sharp knife. Lay the frame down on a clean board, best face upwards. I usually start with a clean piece of card to judge the positions to cut, then just do it by eye. Cut right round just a bit under a cm in from the frame. Lift off the wooden frame. For a good piece, make four parallel equally spaced cuts (to generate 5 pieces) right through with a slicing motion from the cleaned knife. Lift by sliding the knife under each piece (or a similar thin kitchen utensil) and place on a wire rack over a dish to catch drips. Scrape spare honey off the board and into the dish. After a few minutes just lift the comb, again sliding the knife under will help, and carefully place in the box. Carefully wipe off any drips with clean kitchen paper towel. Snap the lid on and apply your own design of label following the rules on content, producer, weight. We sell by weight, rounding up to the nearest 20g (or is it 10g). Digital scales are inexpensive on eBay or from your favourite discount supermarket, although you may have to prove that you verify your scales' performance.
    Last edited by gavin; 27-03-2014 at 02:42 PM.