Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pollen identification

My bees seem to be bringing in some osr today and a light green pollen could this be lime

Blog Entries

Lime is greenish yellow according to the books (Wedmore, Hooper). But there are several species, so maybe there is variation.

Pure green at this time of year could be meadowsweet.

Hi gavin it was a kind of dirty light green I wouldn't describe it as pure green, the others were bringing in yellow with a yellow dot on their heads

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Hi gavin it was a kind of dirty light green I wouldn't describe it as pure green, the others were bringing in yellow with a yellow dot on their heads
    I'll keep an eye out, but I think that lime may be one of the flowers that leaves a mark on the face.

I seem to recall lime pollen being greenish. This photo from Zach Huang's website shows the related basswood (Tilia americana) as greeny-yellow:

http://www.beetography.com/Honey-Bee...307_m2Vt2.html

Blog Entries

Here, we have mainly the broad leafed lime, and the pollen is greenish yellow.

On the subject of pollen, just been in a couple of my hives and the pollen looks mouldy. Both been waiting for their queen to mate and lay, it that why the pollen is going off ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    Here, we have mainly the broad leafed lime, and the pollen is greenish yellow.
    I think that our lime trees are sometimes that one, often the hybrid between it and the small leaved lime, and less frequently another species.

Yesterday evening (about 8:30) the bees were working the lime trees and back at the hives there was a steady stream of heavy-looking slightly clumsy and unmarked bees returning home. They're getting something from lime but the soil is really dry and I don't expect a major flow unless there is significant rain.

Mouldy pollen suggests that there are not enough bees. Usually they coat it with honey to help preserve it.
    Last edited by gavin; 04-07-2014 at 08:26 AM.

We were amazed at the diversity of pollen in Andrew Abrahams pollen trap at our weekend in Colonsay. Everything from pale green Meadowsweet to red Dead nettle and every sort of colour in between. I meant to take a pellet of each sort but forgot and left it too late , pity really. Clover fantastic round here at the moment , just hope it secretes this year now we've had a bit of rain for the first time in six weeks.

Blog Entries

Has anyone any experience of IBRA's pollen identification cards? Accurate and relevant to Scotland?

Blog Entries

Not the Pollen Cards but the Guide that was published some years earlier. I seem to recall that the guide was useful but not always accurate. Maybe the pollen cards are better. At only £4 they're bound to be a useful investment.