Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pollen identification

Default Pollen identification

Hi
    When I was up at the bees on Sunday I noticed they were bringing in cream/off white pollen, I've checked the sheffield pollen matrix and the Beeman website but can't pinpoint a source that is relevant to this time of year, any ideas?

Steven

Blog Entries

There is still some hazel around. I've just restarted our airborne pollen counts for the season and it is still turning up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Thanks Gavin, So the off white is hazel? I've seen it in flower I suppose I got a bit confused as the Sheffield site has hazel in the summer section. What is an airborne pollen count?
    Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Could well be hazel. It flowers Jan to March Other possibilities exist - winter heathers maybe?

We count pollen for a national network and the data is used for forecasts on the BBC and elsewhere in the media. This will give you the idea.

http://www.hutton.ac.uk/webfm_send/532

G.

Thats realy interesting Gavin.

Blog Entries

Hazel has faded away here in the last week or so. You may still have been seeing it in later areas, but elm has become more abundant in the airborne count. The American species has pollen loads of this colour - anyone seen UK bees on elm?

Some of the Prunus species also have light grey pollen so maybe that is a possibility too.

Bit of a hoolie out there today before it turns cold for a few days, so I guess foraging will be limited for a while.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Some of my bees come home covered in bright orange pollen. Can somebody please tell me what it might be? According to the Sheffield pollen chart it seems that it might be dandelion - could that be right? I add a photo taken with my phone, so it's not very good. By the time the phone camera clicked, the bee had almost disappeared. Next to the orange bee I can see two with OSR foreheads - not surprising, they're next to an OSR field.
    Kitta
    20140514_142749 orange bee_cr.jpg

Blog Entries

I have seen the same, thought it could of been Gorse as plenty near by and similar in colour?

I thought that the bright orange was dandelion when I saw it on my bees.

Some of mine have been bringing in a pale cream coloured pollen today, huge jodhpurs of the stuff, but the only one like it on the online colour charts is Balsam. it can't be that because it's too early, so does anybody know what it might be? sorry, there are no helpful pictures, but I could try to get some tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble View Post
    I thought that the bright orange was dandelion when I saw it on my bees.

Some of mine have been bringing in a pale cream coloured pollen today, huge jodhpurs of the stuff, but the only one like it on the online colour charts is Balsam. it can't be that because it's too early, so does anybody know what it might be? sorry, there are no helpful pictures, but I could try to get some tomorrow.
    Hi bumble
    Could the cream be sycamore?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk