Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Agm/egm 2014

In our SBA system I do think the Basic Beemaster has some benefits. Focuses the mind, crystalises the knowledge etc. I sat mine after some years of beekeeping and the best thing about it for me was getting to have a personal beekeeping session with the legend that is Ian Craig.

I moved on to sit Modules 1 and 2 and to be honest I was somewhat underwhelmed. Module 2 in particular was a drag and an exercise in rote "learning" which I think has had no real lasting effect on my beekeeping. I meant (and still mean to some time) to take Module 3 as I think there's some good stuff in there that I could do with being more familiar with but I'm a bit "meh"when it comes to the rest of them. Sort of thinking all the stuff I'm doing around queen rearing and starting up with II has left the module stuff behind.

On the exams I am sitting the module 1 exam on Saturday and I've found the process of studying for it has encouraged me to delve deeper into various subjects

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Our branch runs study groups following the module syllabus but with the emphasis on learning and discussing not on taking the exam. Semi formal and all get to contribute. Friendships form and buddy systems operate to practice techniques and cover holidays. We get to visit each other's bees

Sorry - phone fingers! We visit each other's bees and get experience of lots of colonies.

Thanks to the SBA for having me down again. Was nice to listen through the minutae of AGM business as well - even though I understood little of the nominating and seconding milarky. Well done to Phil for such a successful presidency and congratulations to Bron for taking up the hot seat

I'll post a topic on our new joint PhD studentship between Scotgov, the SBA and Aberdeen soon. Needless to say we are really chuffed with the funding and support.

Big thank you to Fortingall BKA who had me along to Campserney to give a talk on Tuesday as well. I know a few of you were at the AGM in Perth so I hope you were not to bored with a repeat performance of my presentation.

Blog Entries

There is a huge amount of info on the site and im still playing catch up. This was an interesting discussion. As im New to beekeepingI agree there should be more practical examination rather than theory, but from those who know what there talking about as there can be a lot of misinformatoin, from those who think they know it all. Ive been at a workshop listening to an older chap who was giving his years of experience on how to do things while a couple of other knowalls who were also helping were sneering in the back ground, I would like to have spent a few hours at his apiary than a week with the others. As for the exams I also know a chap who is doing the intermediate exam next year,who has no bees and is full of advice, having said that the preliminary exam could have been passed without knowing anything or very little about bees.

Blog Entries

GG.
    The preliminary exam is fine as that is just a taster to see who is interested in beekeeping.
    It's what happens after that where the problems start.

My advice in general would be to ignore the 'I have kept bees for 40 years' folk and just concentrate on what beekeepers are able to do or teach in terms of practical skills.
    Some of the senior beekeepers have great knowledge to impart but others, ....well the less said the better.
    In our Minnowburn group in Belfast I have noticed that some of the people in just their second or third year have far more skills than people who have been keeping bees for a long time.
    Some of the older beekeepers have very fixed beliefs about bees and beekeeping which they like to pass on to newbies but the beliefs are just plain wrong.
    There is a thread on this site somewhere titled myths in beekeeping which lists some of them.

Blog Entries

Jeez I found that thread, now what am I going to do, I should start another thread so you could explain some of these myths and point me where to find the right answers.Am I going to be brave enough to stand up at the next Beginners class and say stop this nonsense. Robert Frost said: Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.