Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Planting a field

I would mark the male plants and then take cuttings from them more than the females when you are ready. I have hundreds of willows on my patch of wet land and the females seem to outnumber the males by a large margin. They are swarming all over the males at the moment, obviously after the pollen, but very few are on the females.

We ordered 40 sekka wiillow from Yorkshire willow at 45p each this morning,looks like an attractive addition thanks Calum. Good excuse to help the bees

Blog Entries

Alder Buckthorn while you are at it! Likes boggy ground, and (at least here in Germany) flowers at a time when not much else is flowering (end of may- beginning july but also through to september). Although according to german wikipedia it is not found in Scotland although it is common in England and Wales...
    I'll put the package on hold then. Wasn't sure if the cuttings would survive in the post....
    Last edited by Calum; 09-04-2014 at 07:25 AM.

It looks an interesting plant, I'll make a note of that one thanks. It's poor industrial ground, but the process on site was clean and it has none of the nasty legacy found on some sites. I'll watch the pioneers progress this year, as I said earlier it may be a waste of time and effort

The sekka sticks arrived and are now in the ground, I had been expecting a rooted plant, but it's a bundle of sticks. I've since learned that willows will root anywhere anytime.