Thread: Honey bees at Scottish Parliment

Question Honey bees at Scottish Parliment

On the news yesterday about the Scottish Parliament getting 2 colonies of honey bees this spring. Any comments?

Does KVH stand for Kelvin Valley Honey and if so isn't it you that's putting the two hives into the Scottish parliament? I noticed on the page on the Scottish Government website describing this there were various "facts" mentioned including one that stated 75% of all Scottish colonies died out during 2013. Any idea where these "facts" came from?

Ok I'll bite, I'm afraid to me it smacks of a cheap publicity stunt.
    I think the SP could be doing a lot more than finding a space for a couple of donated hives
    Good luck to you with it

Blog Entries

If you look at the Kelvin Valley Honey site, their aims are very laudable and extend to community honey extraction, encouraging craft-scale production, and helping the disadvantaged. If this is done right it could be a *very* good thing. I do worry about comments on 'franchising' and the like, and really hope that this isn't on the back of yet more imported bees - is it?

So I'd like to hear more, KVH, before I pass judgement on their 'facts' and that hover fly on the crowdfunding web site! Yes, I've been Googling. Go on, we need persuading. Persuade us!

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vi...arn/73903.aspx

Says on this info page the bees are Scottish bred. Is this the same as native Scottish bees ? or does it mean for example French bees which settled here recently and subsequently mated taking up Scottish citizenship?

I think stock from Colonsay would have suited the ethos of the parliament & shown support for those trying to promote our native bee (now that's a fine initiative to give credit where its due)

Don't see a problem with this at all. Maybe tone down the "facts" on the website though.

Edit: Having done a bit of reading and talking to people I am now very concerned about this entire initiative.
    Last edited by greengumbo; 17-03-2014 at 10:14 AM.