Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Making a difference?

Read the ad in the SBA magazine
    Seven inspections a year?

Blog Entries

Hi Phillip
    "The chocolate-coloured native dark bees are Varroa-free."
    They say this as if it is due to some inherited quality of Amm rather than just their lack of contact with other bee populations
    There must be one of these stories very week now clever marketing I suppose

"The harvested eggs were put in small boxes which were then taped to the hands of apiarists to keep them warm"
    As usual the person writing this hasn't a clue what they are talking about and there is hardly a single sensible sentence in the whole piece

Apologies to anyone reading this grumpy post 3 days of mist and rain hasn't helped
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 04-11-2015 at 05:15 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    Yes, I saw that. I think the magazine should run an article explaining how that can be done in a responsible and caring way.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Apologies to anyone reading this grumpy post 3 days of mist and rain hasn't helped
    There's a wee keek of watery sunshine out there now - are you feeling better? Sadly Jon just saw thick fog and mist (with a wee keek of sunshine in more northern parts) in his recent brief tour.

Didn't read the piece in the same way as you at all. Even to the extent of the body parts used to keep the grafting material warm.

Let's celebrate the fact that SNH are now willing to countenance Apis mellifera as an indigenous species worthy of attention.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EK.Bee View Post
    That's a further misrepresentation, one missing from the list I gave above. Such misleading adverts shouldn't be getting published.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Phillip
    "The chocolate-coloured native dark bees are Varroa-free."
    They say this as if it is due to some inherited quality of Amm rather than just their lack of contact with other bee populations
    There must be one of these stories very week now clever marketing I suppose

"The harvested eggs were put in small boxes which were then taped to the hands of apiarists to keep them warm"
    As usual the person writing this hasn't a clue what they are talking about and there is hardly a single sensible sentence in the whole piece

Your probably right Gavin
    I think what they are trying to study is a population of bees who have not been attacked by varroa and compare the virus types that are found in those bees to the similar populations which have been varroa infested for years
    Most journalists writing about bees only seem to hear what they want to though and just write rubbish

On Breakfast telly one day they had two experts in nutrition who happily pointed out that honey and sugar were the same because of their calorific content
    Course I fired off an email pointing out that if a carrot and a banana had the same calorific content that doesn't mean they are the same thing
    Partial truths and misinformation surrounding bees are just accepted along with spiritual healers working on a Quantum level etc (New age Mysticism)
    It starts small and end up like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18503550