Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Making a difference?

Blog Entries

Hi John

I have no doubt that Luisa cares about bees but I do have issues with the way she is reducing (exiting according to some of her statements) her commercial beekeeping. Her call for 'heroes' to save the bees from being 'endangered' (by the 'very methods of modern beekeeping'), seeking people who would become a 'wild beekeeper' (apparently someone who has clean bee pasture and would follow the usual amateur practice of not raiding the brood box?) using bees they'd buy from her (yet those stocks are not native stock but are a Buckfast-Carnica-native mix), for a price of £300 per colony (while claiming the market value is £700 plus £100 of free tuition). Not some accounting measure of potential worth but market value?

These are not claims that are legal, decent, honest, truthful. Fair enough that her beliefs now mean that her business model is not currently viable, but she can't claim the things she's claiming unless she can prove that they are true. It is misleading for her potential bee 'heroes' who will be coming into their new hobby without the background knowledge of most of us.

Gavin

I often read posts about how after a year of beekeeping someone plans to start commercial queen rearing
    Sometimes it's raising nucleus hives for sale on a massive scale etc etc
    Simultaneously saving the planet and the bees for (from) the rest of us

My nephew bought a guitar, and despite not even being able to tune the thing, was convinced that within a year he would become the new Jimmy Page
    He has owned it a few years now and can tune it reasonably well

Mostly it comes down to dreams, pipes, reality, dissolution , abandonment , moving on, new pipe, and then repeat till humble
    Perhaps it's just old age that makes me say nothing is ever as easy as it seems

Blog Entries

Sage words. Basil too.

Or ye gan o set up a commercial queen breeding operation yer sen Gav. Mint I suggest it's not a good thyme as its a bit chilli.

Blog Entries

Certainly dinnae want tae get caraway, an' yir richt, ye haftae cumin fae the cold naw. Be balmy to take it up noo, ye'd certainly rue it. Quite some caper that commercial beekeeping. Thought it wid be anise thing to get intae in my later years.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

It's thyme I learn the local lingo! I might understand my neighbours better.

Blog Entries

I'm an Edinburgh lad so the Doric is a mystery to me. However someone has gone to all the trouble of putting several Doric teaching videos on YouTube if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...92B0A51B931DF1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    within a year he would become the new Jimmy Page
    The old Jimmy Page can still play anyway.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks for the Doric link, Gavin. I'm going to try my best to impress my neighbours. (So far, I've discovered I had horrible little moth mayvees in one of my hives.)
    Kitta

A Scotsman came to work in Lancashire ( Wigan area ) after working in New Zealand for years .
    He said " hell I didn't know the Doric was spoken here " after hearing the local dialect

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk