Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: winter losses 2013-2014

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    This document is useful for working out why a colony died.
    It links what you find in a dead out to the probable cause.
    Yes, this is actually a very useful doc for beginners, my hive that died from nosema looks just like the one in the picture, as well as the tops of the frames being fouled you will usually find a load of dead bees on the floor and the final remains of a cluster on the centre frames. The hive presently sealed, will be treated with 80% acetic acid, personally I wont bother trying to rescue any of the frames - simpler for me to dig a hole and burn them when they are in such a messy state and the box will get a blow lamp treatment, feeder virkon dipped, frames are cheap and my foundation is free(to me).

My other 44 odd hives appear to be flying strongly and have nice warm crownboards, I've seen the odd drone flying in the stronger boxes - this does not indicate a problem with the queen but I do have drone comb in some boxes deliberately for early drone production. No shortage of bees this season looking forward to loads of honey and intensive production of lots of nice new queens.

Zero in 2013 , zero in 2014

20% 2013, nil 2014..

Blog Entries

100% survival rate this winter, including 4 overwintered nucs - two in a twinstock, two in polynucs. All were flying strongly yesterday and all bringing in big loads of pollen so, while it's too early for a spring inspection, I will assume all are fine. They all got a second slice of Nektapol each to boost stores/morale.

Blog Entries

Sounds like reasonably good news so far, we're going to put a lot of journalists out if business.

Peterborough, and into the flatlands to the north and east ...

Five colonies going into winter, now five strong colonies with hives nearly full of bees.

Even the one I had doubts about, and fell over and was scattered about a month or so ago, is in good shape. The colony may be evil tempered, but I have to respect their ability to survive.

The only blip is a (6th) hive I rescued over the winter (had been abandoned & former land/hive owner wouldn't pick up). It looked very low on bees and stores at the weekend. Not helped by the robbing I suspect some stronger hives of carrying out!

Anyway, they're on their own now, so I may be able to get a better view of the colony and it's strength next week.

David