Thread: Advice please on using formic axcid treatment in the hive

Default Advice please on using formic axcid treatment in the hive

Having just purchased some formic acid,I would like some advice please on how and when to use it.in the hive.

Blog Entries

Carefully?! Sorry , couldn't resist ....

One for Eric. Actually, carefully is very right and I don't think that I would offer advice on it in a public forum. Too risky for untrained handlers and also not a recommended veterinary medicine, except in the Mite Away II system (assuming that's an approved method). (I have an SBA hat you know .... )

G.

Blog Entries

Hi
    first of technical, industrial or medical standard?
    What strenght (%)? I could describe the most common approved dosage and application methods approved in germany. Gavin will have to pull the handbrake if it is not allowed in Scotland.

Formic acid 85%.It is O.K. to use in the U.K. but I need some instruction as to how to apply.I AM aware of its potential hazards and have the neccessary protection gear.

Blog Entries

85%! OK we 'should' only use that here if a colony is infested (with a vets permission).
    You would have to treat in August / Sept with a medicine bottle on a block with a plate and a paper towel..
    Never done it myself so I wouldn't describe a method.

Blog Entries

Hi Grizzly and All

When I was just a plain, almost invisible, insignificant beekeeper (I'm still insignificant) I'd do terrible things like apply thymol crystals a la (le) Peter Edwards in jam jar lids. Suddenly I became the SBA's bee diseases guy and that means I'd get to join in important meetings from time to time. I should set an example. How can I express indignation when I see beekeepers using sheep dip if my own practices were just as dodgy?! I should really encourage fellow beekeepers to take a professional attitude to treating their livestock, which also double as food-producing organisms. And I shouldn't encourage SBA members to do anything which might endanger their health.

So, the UK position on formic? Here is a snippet from the Veterinary Medicines Directorate (one of the few bee-relevant areas where responsibility still resides in London):

"The VMD has met with the distributors of Mite
    Away. Mite Away is a formic acid preparation in
    gel form, manufactured by NOD Apiaries. This
    product is authorised in Canada and US as a
    pesticide.

In the UK the product started to be marketed last
    year as a hive cleaner with no claims against
    varroa. The product will continue to be marketed
    in this way. There are no restrictions on the
    supply of this product."

This seems to mean that formic in pads is being tolerated because it isn't seen as a medicine, in which case formic as a liquid will be in the same category.

How to apply if you have the liquid? Carefully, as I said! I seem to recall the Germans developing the Nassenheiser (?) evaporator to be used with absorbent pads, to be fixed into a frame, and there were kitchen sponge type methods on the internet. But like Calum I've no experience.

Good luck!

Gavin

Blog Entries

Yep. If it were 60% I would give you a indepth description of how I treat (on a kitchen sponge, 2ml per frame from above or 3ml from below, ambient temp +22°C -repeat 5-7 times with 7-10 day pauses). More or less.
    About >95% of German beekeepers use this treatment in August early Sept.
    Also unless it is medical or technical grade I would worry about what else is in it (I think I was told heavy metals can be in the indusrail grade - everyone recommends not touching that stuff) .