Thread: Quote - hens' eggs and milk

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default Quote - hens' eggs and milk

I've just read the Aberdeen and District newsletter. Graham Torrie usually includes a quote in the newsletter and this is this month's quote:

..... German beekeeper, Herr Hilbert, as reported in the British Bee Journal of 1 May 1877:
    “I will now further mention a
    substitute still more valuable for attaining the end we have in view. This is hens' eggs. I expressly say hens' eggs, for,
    though I have used ducks' eggs, I quickly gave them up; for the bees take them only with the greatest reluctance, and
    often not at all. I am quite unable to decide whether the flavour of the ducks' eggs in itself is distasteful to the bees, as it is
    to some of us when these are used as human aliment, or whether a disagreeable taste is imparted to them by the fishy
    nourishment which my stream offers to the ducks. It is sufficient that hens' eggs deserve the decided preference for this
    purpose of feeding; and they are probably cheaper and more easily obtainable. If you ask why I prefer the eggs to the milk,
    I answer because, taking weight and price into consideration, the amount of nutriment is greater in the eggs than in the
    milk: thus a considerable quantity of nourishment may be given to the bees in a small compass. In other words, a thaler's
    worth of milk does not represent the same amount of nutritive value as a thaler's worth of eggs.”
    Does anybody know anything more about feeding eggs or milk to bees, and how it was done?

Also, what is a 'small compass'? (I've looked up thaler: a German coin, and I think I've read some time ago that that's where Dollar came from.)
    Kitta

Blog Entries

I don't know anything about feeding eggs to bees but if it turns out to be a good idea, we'll be glad to give them some of our surplus eggs - there's a limit to how many traybakes I can fit in the freezer, which is what I'm doing with the extra eggs just now!

I remember reading in an old bee book about using powdered egg as a pollen substitute and also using lactose as a sugar. I think it must have been a pre - war book.

Yes it's a source of protein and powdered egg yolk can be used in the pollen substitute mix.
    It's in Yates, a sort of modern bee book.
    Also skimmed milk.

Ted Hooper's recipe is simple :-
    Fat free soya flour 75%
    Brewers yeast 25%.
    By weight
    Mixed with sugar syrup.

Kitta, 'compass' may mean 'range', or amount, a quantity?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beejazz View Post
    Kitta, 'compass' may mean 'range', or amount, a quantity?
    French: compasser translates as "to measure".

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Thanks for all the interesting replies. I don't think they would have had powdered eggs in 1877, do you think?. The earliest mention of powdered eggs I could find was about 1920 - but perhaps they dried it somehow.
    I envy you all that supply of fresh eggs, Trog.

I understand that a compass usually refers to measuring - direction or drawing a circle - so i suppose 'in a small compass' might have referred to a small measuring jug - just guessing.
    Kitta

Blog Entries

It's nice to have so many eggs in winter but it would be more helpful if the hens could concentrate their efforts on the B & B season rather than spending the summer hiding eggs all over the place (and sitting on them if they can get away with it!). However, since I'm too busy to bake cakes in summer, there's a plentiful supply in the freezer ready for tea trays, fishing expeditions, cruising and afternoon tea on the lawn (that last item just a dream as bees and tourists both swarm around 4pm!!)

I was responding to Grizzly's post.
    Perhaps they just fed the eggs as they come in the 19th century. I assume the powdered stuff is easier to blend into a recipe.
    Re. Ducks eggs. Here in the village a retired farmer has some ducks as "pets". He gives the eggs away. Lots of people have tried them but most don't like the taste. I am told their best use is to make custard.

Blog Entries

Duck eggs make glorious cakes - yellow and high-rise! When we had ducks (before the mink got the last of them), I made all my cakes with duck eggs rather than with hen ones - just weigh the ingredients against the eggs.