Thread: Perspex crown boards & water droplets

Default Perspex crown boards & water droplets

Are perspex crown boards more prone to condensation forming on them than ply ?
    Or does the ply just soak up the water so its hidden?
    I've got a shallow ekes on 3 cedar hives (OMF) with fondant on I thought the perspex would be useful for periodically monitoring fondant consumption with minimal disruption
    but as a beginner I'm worried about the amount of water condensing on the edges of the perspex boards
    I guess its water from the bees metabolising the fondant I'm seeing
    All the perspex has a deep layer of celox above which I thought would limit condensation formation
    I am worrying about nothing?

Yes you are worrying about nowt
    Water vapour hitting a cooler surface will condense. If that surface isn't porous it will form droplets . Insulation above with reduce the amount but won't stop it completely!
    The bees will use this moisture to deal with the fondant ( saves seeking water outside the hive and not making it back)
    VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wee willy View Post
    Yes you are worrying about nowt
    Water vapour hitting a cooler surface will condense. If that surface isn't porous it will form droplets . Insulation above with reduce the amount but won't stop it completely!
    The bees will use this moisture to deal with the fondant ( saves seeking water outside the hive and not making it back)
    VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank-you I'll find something else to worry over them now

Blog Entries

EK Bee, you are right on every count. John is correct that some condensation can be a good thing as the bees need water, but you do need to be careful to avoid the condensation dripping directly on the cluster. If the sheet sags in the middle it may run there before dripping, and that wouldn't be a good thing. However, a colony eating into its fondant supply now and generating condensation is a colony getting its yearly cycle well underway. Always nice to see.