Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bee gym

Default Bee gym

Has anyone read the article in Beecraft about the anti varroa Bee gym? I think I'm going to give one a try

http://www.beegym.co.uk/

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Has anyone read the article in Beecraft about the anti varroa Bee gym? I think I'm going to give one a try

http://www.beegym.co.uk/

Brilliant! That has to be the bee invention of the decade. Hope it makes a difference. I've turned into a bit of a nomad for now and my Bee Craft is likely to be at a previous abode. I must sort that.

For those who don't click the links here is some encouragement ....

Hi Gavin I will try and send you the article if you like? I'm going to try one I don't think it will do any harm

Blog Entries

Kind offer, thanks Steve. I'll be visiting my last abode this weekend and will get back if it doesn't turn up. Did it come in the Jan edition?

Hi Gavin
    It's in the Feb edition which o received yestrrday

Blog Entries

Hmm, so how many mites were dislodged? And if they can use this gadget, do they use twigs/stems in the same way when out and about?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Hmm, so how many mites were dislodged? And if they can use this gadget, do they use twigs/stems in the same way when out and about?
    The website shows graphs that suggest a greater fall of mites once the Bee Gym is installed. Not proof that they are using it effectively (there could be other reasons for an enhanced fall) but encouraging. Do they do this when out and about? Why not?! I knew a man who watched an observation hive closely and he swore that he saw bees grooming mites off other bees then flying out, apparently with them about their persons (or bee equivalent).

I'm tempted get a couple myself.

Blog Entries

Given that the stuff falling on the insert under a mesh floor usually retains its 2D position (see here: http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ll=1#post17081), the pattern of this enhanced mite fall should show you which of the various devices in the Bee Gym is being used effectively?

Just a helpful comment for anyone planning to try one out, or even Stuart the inventor should he decide to look in .

G.

I emailed Stuart today he is waiting on a batch being made up, he says he will email me when they are available, also they are asking for mite drop feedback

[QUOTE=gavin;23670]Given that the stuff falling on the insert under a mesh floor usually retains its 2D position (see here: http://www.sbai.org.uk/sbai_forum/sh...ll=1#post17081), the pattern of this enhanced mite fall should show you which of the various devices in the Bee Gym is being used effectively?

Just a helpful comment for anyone planning to try one out, or even Stuart the inventor should he decide to look in .

Hi Gavin.
    I have been looking at mite patterns on sticky boards for 2 years now (daily, it's been quite a slog), when there is high mite fall there are often many more under the position of the Bee Gym, these also have a high ratio of living mites, but it's not as simple as that. I believe that many of the mites are injured and not removed initially. It seems that the Bee Gym encourages grooming in general.

This video is the kind of thing that helped develop the thinking behind the Bee Gym.