Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prescription miticides

Default Prescription miticides

Has anyone used any of the prescription only miticides? I've been looking at apivar and checkmite
    Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Has anyone used any of the prescription only miticides? I've been looking at apivar and checkmite
    Steven

I used Apivar last year for the first time. It seems to have a good effect and is well tolerated.

Personally I wouldn't use Checkmite as I don't fancy the organophosphate coumaphos migrating into wax. It is used in the commercial beekeeping fraternity as a spot treatment.

http://www.apidologie.org/articles/a...116/m6116.html

One of the bad feelings I get when I hear of imports of bees from Italy in particular is that Apivar has been heavily used there for a while but is relatively new here. I haven't seen anything concrete on the development of resistance (in Varroa) to Apivar (amitraz) but it seems to be folly to be importing bees and Varroa from a country with that history of use.

Apivar was the one I was drawn to, the info on the other treatments was a bit harder to find. I think I will ask my Vet if they would be willing to obtain the treatments if I decide to try one

The new hop based one should be out next year
    Might be called Hoplite or something

HopGuard

There's an advert on YouTube that sounds like it's been recorded by a robot all about the stuff.

I heard Max Wilkins from Vita talk about it at the NHS … the two things I clearly remember were it could be used with supers on but it was only ~80% effective at clearing mites. Although I remember it clearly, I might remember it wrongly.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    HopGuard

There's an advert on YouTube that sounds like it's been recorded by a robot all about the stuff.

I heard Max Wilkins from Vita talk about it at the NHS … the two things I clearly remember were it could be used with supers on but it was only ~80% effective at clearing mites. Although I remember it clearly, I might remember it wrongly.
    Well they missed a trick there my name for it is so much better

Much better name I agree … it's just the image that put people off. What the hell is that by his left knee?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Much better name I agree … it's just the image that put people off. What the hell is that by his left knee?
    Triple LOL!!

Must have nothing on under his kilt.

That gets the varroa where it hurts
    It's the pointy end of his sword
    Were you thinking this guy needs a truss ?
    The marketing should say "don't even think about crossing a Hoplite"

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Apivar was the one I was drawn to, the info on the other treatments was a bit harder to find. I think I will ask my Vet if they would be willing to obtain the treatments if I decide to try one

If you have any difficulties, you can source it via mail order through Bridge St vet practice in Dumfries
    You need to fill out an online form & they phone to confirm a few details then post it out
    http://www.bridgevets.com