http://youtu.be/CiWxx_3gUbc
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This of course is the best way well presented with no silly chit

http://youtu.be/R4Sb6J_uY3E

WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a great video wee willy.
    I reckon manually marking a queen is one of those landmark events for beekeepers … in no particular order of merit (though this is often the order they happen in)

Your first honey
    Your first swarm
    Your first grafted queen
    Your first queen picked up, marked and safely returned

I still remember the first one I marked like that … I was really chuffed. Of the next two, one flew off never to be seen again and the other was balled

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Beside painting the whole queen white they were probably crushing her as well
    Big fat gloves pressing the cage
    Trying to hit a moving target
    Using a marker pen on the cage
    Sorry Neil
    They are Morons
    The fact she's still running around under the cage suggests they're not crushing her You'd hope they'd learn from the experience. There is a reason I tend to buy up thick leather gloves at associate auctions, take them home and burn them and that video is one of them.

If they do it again like that, I'd agree they're morons, especially if they either get helpful comments or some experienced one to one help as a result. Everything in that video suggests they're new beekeepers trying their best to follow reasonable advice and making a complete hash of it; I've been there, done that more than once, I just didn't post a vid of me doing it on you tube.
    Last edited by Neils; 20-01-2014 at 02:02 AM.

WW nice video. After years of pinching her by the wings I bought that plunger and catcher set last year, it works a treat very tidy little white spot, no stress. Almost always had couple of workers in with her. Very handy as the faculties deteriorate

The other dependable way to catch queens if you don't want to use your mitts directly is one of those glass or plastic "crack" pipes sold by Thorne's (and no doubt others):
    Q0010-500x500.jpg
    These are easy to use. Take out the foam bung from the 'bowl' end. Put it the bowl over the queen against the comb. Be patient. She'll eventually walk up the pipe. Lift it off the comb, putting your thumb over the end. She will by now be backing back down the pipe. Pop the foam bung back in place. If you want to mark her in one of those plunger-type cages (or put her in a queen cage) remove the small plug from the thin end of the pipe … aim it correctly and either wait for her to make her own way down or (much, much faster) give a quick puff through the foam bung in the bowl end and she'll be jet propelled into the cage

Would this pipe work?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Would this pipe work?

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk
    Depends what you put in it.
    A quote from a purvayor of fine herbs and prescribed chemicals;
    "I don't advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This may be the reason bald-headed men are uptight.
    Relax, man, find your neutral space. You got a rush. It will pass. Be seated."

A natural beekeeper me'thinks !

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Would this pipe work?
    I believe that the main problem with using that type of queen catcher is the difficulty you have in seeing the queen.

Or, for that matter, the hive

Blog Entries

And here I am in Haddington to blether about bees and the internet. Anyone out there in cyberland want to say anything to the beekeepers of East Lothian? We'll stop by here again later on in the talk .....

If you want to see what East Lothian beekeepers look like, try the 'Communications' thread where I put a picture of them when I was last here.

Bee flowers out on the way here - willows, still some hazel, blackthorn is out, rape is extending but is still a couple of weeks away.

G.
    Last edited by gavin; 28-03-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: all fingers and thumbs standing up side-on to the laptop and in front of an audience