Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Perth live internet event!

Blog Entries

Might be too late to partake and I'm not sure I have anything other than "hello" to say , but with a bit of notice id like to join these.

I've just left work so not in mission control for another 20 minutes or so.

Blog Entries

On the off chance I'm not too late, I am signed into Skype

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neils View Post
    On the off chance I'm not too late, I am signed into Skype
    Many thanks Neil, it was great to chat and introduce the East Lothian beekeepers to you. That's me just back.

Blog Entries

Good fun and nice to see everyone. I think you should make this regular and have a few standard items in future that you could ask/talk about with the next willing victim.

Blog Entries

Good fun and nice to see everyone. I think you should make this regular and have a few standard items in future that you could ask/talk about with the next willing victim.
    Great suggestion. I'll do that next time - if there is one. One more talk in May before I hang up the digital projector until the autumn, but that one's on bee communication I think.

I'd be cautious about assuming a signal for internet access unless I've tried it in the hall, or remember the spot well enough to rely on the 3mobile signal predictions from their maps. Some halls are in basements and some are in spots where the signal strength is low already, but with these mobile WiFi gizmos you can take them off the leash and sometimes find a spot in the room that catches a signal, running them off their battery for the talk.

PS And I should ditch that &%!$£ Windows 8 Skype and get back to a version with proper controls!

Blog Entries

Default Perth live internet event!

Well, I'll be happy to go again. Appreciate tech shenanigans given similar situation here.

Windows 8? I thought you were a Linux man
    Last edited by Neils; 28-03-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Windows 8? I thought you were a Linux man
    The new laptop last summer came with Windows which is useful for compatibility with work files and programs that don't run on Linux. Still have that Linux-based cast-off, rescued from its broken MS operating system, which comes in handy for some things.

Just checked: Skype is still available for Linux despite its new owners. In Perth I ran two laptops so that I should show the audience Michael Palmer on YouTube while I trimmed then uploaded pictures of them onto the forum. Could do the same next time, but run Skype on the second laptop while having the talk including live internet links off the Windows machine. Must check that the Huawei MiFi thingie works with Linux.

Doh! I had it working in Perth.
    Last edited by gavin; 29-03-2014 at 03:20 PM.