Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Your gallery of 2D plots

Hi Rosie,

A good plot. Pity it is 2 points short of a mars bar. Do you have any theory for the outliers?

Can I hang my head in shame and post this.....

So I now know i have a hybrid bunch of bees, the aim is to get fresh queens and kill this exsisting blood line and start fresh.

No yellow banding and on about 14 frames. I inspected them in poor conditions without gloves and they were as sweet as can be. So far they seem faultless apart from a small amount of chalk but it's early days.

Rosie

Hi Jimbo

The bees were taken from the top box where there were fewer brood frames as I almost forgot to take the sample altogether. Hence the sample might include a few drifters. I plan to repeat the process, taking a bit more care next time I visit them. The hive that I ended up with was nothing like as good so they could have drifted from there.

Wraith, whenever I have seen plots like yours the bees have been both swarmy and grumpy. From what you told me yours are no exception but it's great that you are working at improving your stock. You'll get plenty of help from BIBBA members.

Rosie

Blog Entries

Wraith. That plot is almost certainly a hybrid between AMM and carnica as the plot is intermediate between the two.
    I plotted two sets of wings. one from one of my Amm colonies and a Carnica colony from a commercial beekeeper to make this plot.

carnica plot with AMM.jpg

Blog Entries

It is so strikingly intermediate that it may be the first cross. In that case your colony could be producing Amm drones (if the mother was Amm) and a cross to a virgin from a purer stock might work wonders.

Blog Entries

I would never let a colony like that produce a queen although like you say the drones could be fine if it is an F1 cross.
    Unless I was very sure about the queen heading the colony I would not let it make drones either.
    I get the odd poor plot but if I have several generations of decent plots from the queens forebears and the queen looks right, I presume the queen encountered non AMM drones on a mating flight and it should still be ok as a drone producer.

And wraith, no need to hang your head in shame, most uk beekeepers end up with hybrid colonies due to the constant wave of imports coming in.
    Getting involved with a local breeding group is the best way to stabilise the genetics of what is in your area.
    Last edited by Jon; 18-05-2012 at 11:53 PM.

I would guess that the opposite has happened. Someone has imported a Carnica queen to Wraith's area and its virgin has mated with the locals which which have all sorts in it, mainly AMM. If I am correct the next generation will be the dreaded F2 one.

Rosie

I haven't made any Morphmetery from the original bee's I had, basically I got a swarm from a beek, who didn't realise it was her swarm, so I ended up with a 1 yr old queen. This then was so prolific, they were artifically swarmed 1 month later ( looking back now with more knowledge that should of set alarm bells off!!) So the F2 gen was born mated with in days last year, this was 20-30 miles form orginal area, so mated around my area with a commercial beek somewhere in the area. This queen isn't much different in temperment than the mother, but still prolific, both colonies aren't the freindlyist of bees, I have just had another artifical swarm with the daughter queen, so I have 3 generations, I'm certainly going to look at the drones once my equip is running, but ulitimate aim requeen with good Amm stock and then flood area with drones

This is a corker. Both ends of the errant vein are missing. I had 2 wings like this in this particular sample and also there were the other two faults at 18 and above 0. The overall plot was rubbish and nothing like the parent colony.

Rosieimg001_11R.dw.png