Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your gallery of 2D plots

Blog Entries

And another
    Also a sister of the previous two I posted.
    Average CI is a bit higher in this one.
    I also noticed a few bees with a bit of yellow on the first segment.

Col60.jpg

Very similar to my lot this year. High 70's for the Amm

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Very similar to my lot this year. High 70's for the Amm
    I still have these ones from 2010 which I hope to graft from next year.
    I have requeened a lot of colonies with daughters of a queen unrelated to these two.

col48wide.jpg Col44..jpg

Blog Entries

This one has disappointed me.
    I requeened a colony with the queen from a cluster I rescued from beside my apiary in July.
    I assumed this was a queen which had mated in my own apiary.
    All the bees were dark as well - no yellow banding.

I think this is the best use for morphomety, ie it lets you know that what looks right superficially may well be hybridized.

Good for drone production but not for grafting.

col75.jpg

Jon

Do you have a theory on what drones will have been responsible for this? Also, if you grafted from it and happened to select a larva from bottom left of the plot, do you think you might be able to produce a fairly pure queen from it?

Rosie

Blog Entries

My guess with this one is Carnica influence in the plots with high CI - or maybe just dark mongrels. The vast majority of beekeepers here have fairly mongrelised stock although there is often very obvious yellow banding.
    I think the chances of getting a good AMM queen from a plot like this are about 50/50 so I would prefer to graft from others where the odds are better.
    There is a distinct cluster bottom left though which I would guess is from drones in my own apiary.

I requeened this one in early September and am assuming that there should be very few bees left from the previous queen.
    I will check it again in May but in my experience you don't see much change if you have waited 3 months before sampling.

This queen is a sister of 3 others I posted recently, 60, 61,and 68 and they seem to be quite uniform.

Col60.jpgcol.68.jpgcol61.jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 08-12-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Default MorphPlot and other matters

Hi Everyone

Have to confess that I have not been following this forum as I have been overwhelmed! However, I have just had three e-mails in quick succession telling me about messages that have been posted - not sure why they arrived now as I have never had any before; Gavin?

I notice that the plots shown are not from the latest version of MorphPlot. We have been on 2.2 for along time now and it is available from:
    http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.homec...phPlotV2.2.XLS

With regard to sending screen shots, the simplest and best software that I have found is Gadwin PrintScreen - and it is free (go down the page to the free version):
    http://www.gadwin.com/download/
    Very simple to use: when it is loaded, press your PrintScreen button, draw a marquee around what you want to capture, press return and then give the file a name.

I might try to upload some plots when I have a moment!

Best wishes

Peter
    Peter Edwards

Also:

There is a version for Carnica which Philipp Maier from Austria created. There is also an ico file in case you want to put a shortcut to MorphPlot on your desktop; everything is here:
    http://www.stratfordbeekeepers.homecall.co.uk/

Best wishes

Peter
    Peter Edwards

Blog Entries

Hi Peter.

I use the latest version if I have wings beyond -10. Other than that the compact version looks better I think.

I got the Carnica version from your website last year and used it to make a composite plot contrasting AMM and Carnica using data from one of my queens and data from the NZ carnica which have been imported here.

carnica plot with AMM.jpg

Blog Entries

Hi Peter

Good to see you posting. I think that this part of the forum is set up to send an email to a list of interested people when something is posted. The long gap since a previous email will just be due to the fact that the threads have been dormant here for a while.

I'm happy to remove this for one or all if you like - but I haven't changed the settings on here since we started this part of the forum.

best wishes

Gavin