Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your gallery of 2D plots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Your gallery of 2D plots

Let's make this one a 'Sticky', in other words it will always be at the top of this section.

Post your DrawWing or other 2D morphoplots here. One day I'm going to impress you all by doing a 3D plot, but I don't know how to get the software working on a web page.

If you struggle with posting plots, one of our members will be glad to help you out. Just ask. You ought to be able to upload it onto the site if you like, or can host it elsewhere (Photobucket, Flickr etc).

So, if you'd like to go public with your plots of wing venation patterns .... .... and feel free to add pictures of the bees themselves if you can ....

- Where are the bees (roughly)?
    - Do they look native in other respects (brown or blackish, without the grey bands of Carniolans, stocky, couple of orange spots at most, white cappings)?
    - What are you going to do with them now?

If this goes well we could end up with an Amm swap-shop for compatible areas in terms of Varroa and disease status.
    Last edited by gavin; 27-04-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Here are 5 of mine, the only 5 I have had tested in fact. I haven't been selecting based on Drawwing charts. I did send off samples of the bees which I thought had AMM characteristics and I have a few other colonies which are probably more hybridised.

These are well west of Stranraer just outside Belfast.

jon-col34..jpg jon-col33..jpg jon-col22..jpg jon-col26..jpg jon-col19..jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 26-04-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Blog Entries

These two are from my father's apiary in Co. Tyrone. He has a near neighbour who has bought in Carnica queens which may explain the degree of hybridization.

Sample A..jpg Sample B..jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 27-04-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Blog Entries

This is one of Jimbo's from Rosneath Peninsula

Jim1..jpg

Hi Guys,

Still trying to get an image on. I think I might not have the correct photo editing software. Will keep trying.
    Did I mention there is a mars bar for the first person who submits an image with 50 dots in the red box

Jimbo

Blog Entries

I could get 50 dots in the red box if I used a sample of about 80 bees. Is that cheating?

Blog Entries

3 plots from one of my colonies: the left and the right from workers, the one in the middle from the queen, which seems way out, but can't be compared directly with the workers.

I have collected all the queens' wings that I clipped this year (not easy when there is even just a gentle breeze), but not checked them yet. Has anybody else got morphometry results for queens?

Doris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon,

Just looked at your plots. Col 33 and Col 22 look good. What percentage of AMM did you get and did you change the AMM limits default value of 2.000 to 2.100 as recommended by BIBBA.

Jimbo

Blog Entries

col 33 was 74% with the limit set at 2.0. Col 22 was also 74%.
    Would have been a bit better at a limit of 2.1.
    Those two are from unrelated queens. I have more rigmarole about it in my blog.

I have those two marked down for queen rearing but 33 is barely nuc sized at the moment as it was a very late colony headed by a queen which was mated in September last year.
    Last edited by Jon; 26-04-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Hi Jon,

I have so far 5 unrelated queens with a value from 70 -90% with the limit at 2.000. I have another 3 colonies that are poor and will not breed from. At present I have moved the poor colonies to another site so that any drones from them will not mate with my good AMM queens. There is also a couple of other beekeepers with good AMM queens with high values but have hybrid colonies close to them. We intend to take any queen cells from these colonies to my site with the high percentage of AMM for mating to try and preserve the AMM stock. Will keep you informed on how well it goes. It is our aim this year to produce as many black queens as possible and start to re-stock the hybrid colonies on our Peninsula.

Jimbo