Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Oxalic Acid.

I've left the tray in the hive with heavy drop for another week to see how it goes. In the two weeks since the treatment the count has dropped by just over half so I'll see what I get next weekend then I will take out the tray for the rest of winter. Any suggestions for a spring treatment? Obviously temperature and impending supers will be an issue?

Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Great news everybody after doing Oxalic Vaporiser 3 days ago my mite count is still zero, am going to check after another 4 days but am really pleased to have been so lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Show off

Default Help Oxalic Acid.

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Show off

Na mate just lucky

I'm calling for a black bee sanctuary in the dale

They will burn me at the stake I've got very calm and productive buckfast cross, am not one for black bee club am just happy if my bees are happy and more happy if their mite free

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    Any suggestions for a spring treatment? Obviously temperature and impending supers will be an issue?
    Oxalic sublimation, three treatments, five to seven days apart, no worries about temperatures, try and do it before supering, but no problems with regards residues if not.
    Last edited by Pete L; 19-01-2014 at 01:44 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
    Oxalic sublimation, three treatments, five to seven days apart, no worries about temperatures, try and do it before supering, but no problems with regards residues if not.
    Pete, what do you mean by 'no problems' - good quality lab results for many different comparisons of sublimated and non-sublimated? This technique generates a fog of oxalic acid crystals that settle out over the inside of the hive. Do the bees remove all traces of this before they store any honey?

A Scottish bee farmer (no names please) who used an oxytetracycline treatment in autumn 2009 was still having problems with this antibiotic appearing in samples in 2013! Oxytetracycline was promoted in 2009 as a safe means of staving off EFB problems (for a while) that one season only and residues were said to be impossible as it has a half life of 14 days in honey at 34C.

G.

Oxytetracycline is not a natural ingredient of honey, oxalic is.

Many foods contain oxalic, and our bodys, even substances like hive clean contain oxalic, and this can be trickled on the bees at every exmination during the active season if desired, same as some beekeepers just trickle oxalic during the active season with no residue problems.

There is some research, cannot find it right now, but they sublimated oxalic for several days and residue limits were below the legal permitted limits.

There is one here but not the one i am thinking of,and this was in winter.

During the heating about half of the oxalic acid disintegrates into harmless carbon dioxide and water. The
    other half vaporises and forms fine drops and dusts of oxalic acid that precipitate on the bees and
    everywhere in the hive. In a special research project this precipitation was examined to see if there were
    any risks for the apiarist. Possible by-products of the vaporisation were also examined to see if they were
    toxic. The results have indicated that any doubts about safety can be dispelled. Therefore we would like to
    present the results and the new method of vaporising oxalic acid.

Solubility of wax and residues in honey
    Oxalic acid is not water soluble. This is a most important fact when considering a use free of residues.
    In the year 2000, the spring honey of colonies that were not treated with oxalic acid was compared
    with honey of colonies in which different amounts of oxalic acid were vaporised. The honey harvest
    took place at the same time in nearby apiaries.
    The content of oxalic acid in the treated colonies was between 22,8 and 37,7 mg/kg honey (fig. 9).
    Each column represents the content of oxalic acid of a collective sample of at least nine honey combs
    from two or three colonies. The colonies that were treated with oxalic acid on average had a lower
    content of oxalic acid in honey than the non-treated colonies. The vaporisation of oxalic acid,
    therefore seems to be completely harmless in this respect too.
    The content of oxalic acid in the examined honey samples was in each case in the lower area of what
    is know as natural variation. Franco Mutinelli 3) looked at the natural content of oxalic acid in 32
    samples of different Italian honeys. He found a content of 20 to 400 mg oxalic acid per kilogram
    honey.
    (

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/f...a.de_engl2.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by crabbitdave View Post
    They will burn me at the stake I've got very calm and productive buckfast cross, am not one for black bee club am just happy if my bees are happy and more happy if their mite free

It looks like I've set up a varroa sanctuary but mine are pure breeds