Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beekeepers quarterly

Default Beekeepers quarterly

Some interesting articles this time … using bees in poly tunnels/glasshouses for pollination and the great manuka swindle. There's also a fantastic photo on page 41 of a big bloke riding a tiny donkey while his wife (?) walks alongside carrying stuff. Almost worth the subscription alone

I'd intended to add this to a thread on magazines that DR and I contributed to … however, BKQ is too short a word to search for and I can't find it. There is a magazines thread but it's 3 years old now.

I used to subscribe to the BKQ but decided not to this year. I went for Beecraft this year as I had never received it before.
    Not sure which one to get for next year or whether to go for a subscription for Nuts instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I used to subscribe to the BKQ but decided not to this year.
    Other than the bloke on the donkey I'm not sure you're missing much …

I reckon those pair, with the donkey, have been down the allotment. She’s walking back with a cabbage for his tea and he’s too knackered to walk after lugging that old tin knapsack sprayer about spraying…………………………………… (space left for you to add your own pet hate)
    OR
    They’ve never met before and she’s just pulled out of his slip stream in an overtaking manoeuvre and hasn’t realised her surgical stocking is starting to slip.

Blog Entries

Can't help feeling I'm missing something. Anyone care to post a photo to go with the description?

Default Caption competition …

… credit for this image to Beekeepers Quarterly*

photo.jpg

* Gavin may have to remove this (and ban me?) if I'm in breach of any rules.

Blog Entries

Reminds me of those photos of Scots women bent double from the waist planting tatties with a creel on their backs while the blokes lean on their cas-chroms smoking clay pipes. As an interesting side-note to this, both my mother and I bend from the waist while weeding .. supposedly not very good for our backs!

Reminds me of my teenage years, courted a lassy whose parents dug peat, and the da used to load up the ma with a yoke and that's how they (she) brought the peat off the moss. Ah, the good old days ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I used to subscribe to the BKQ but decided not to this year. I went for Beecraft this year as I had never received it before.
    Not sure which one to get for next year or whether to go for a subscription for Nuts instead!
    I tend to get Beecraft every other year, maybe I should take another look now I'm getting the belly and white beard sorted out properly, as a newbie I found that a lot of the practical articles tended to repeat a lot and it could be a little fluffy outside of that.

Blog Entries

The quarterly Ibra Magazine Bee World is good and you also get access to the online Journal of Apicultural Research which has several decades of bee research.

I think membership is £33. I joined about a month ago.