Thread: request for help! - pollen&honey recipe

Blog Entries

Exclamation request for help! - pollen&honey recipe

Hi,
    a good friend of mine is undergoing chemotherapy.
    Because you loose alot of weight and your appetite is is important to get alot of protein into you.

There is a guy here in Germany that sells a mix of pollen, honey and bees wax specially for people undergoing cancer treatments.
    It is excellent stuff (pollen being what it is) - tastes awful tho...

I urgently need some glasses of this stuff, but he has none left and will not devuldge the recipe.
    I hope someone here can help me out with the recipe & instructions on how to make it, I have all the ingredients...

thanks in advance
    Calum

Blog Entries

In the end I ground pollen to a breadlike consistency and mixed it with honey about 10:1 by weight - seemed about right. I left out the wax.
    Tried it on myself, a teaspoonfull kept me feeling full for half a day.

I'd still appreciate any input

Hi Calum
    Ron Brown the beekeeping Author mentioned in his book "Honey Bees" that he sold a premium product to health food shops which he refers to as "natural pollen preserved in honey"
    He stored pollen in the deep freeze for this purpose
    Now the other thing he says is about the pollen itself because although he collected pollen with traps to store for the bees, the pollen preserved in honey product was made differently
    He collected the pollen from super combs "there is a distinction between pollen scraped from bees legs ...and pollen stored by them"
    The pollen he give credit for anti-anemia is technically bee bread which he says is a bio stimulant he just found super combs with stored pollen and scraped them back to the centre rib.
    Unfortunately he doesn't give details of ratios of pollen to honey other than one part pollen to 10 parts warm liquid honey
    He does say the World Bee Association has published reports of its value after surgery, or chronic alcoholism ,as a bio stimulant and general tonic
    All on one page (88 )
    Not much help I fear
    good luck with it
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 02-12-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Hi,
    thanks, I appreciate the input!
    I used traped pollen, but apparently if you grind it down, it is easier digested by the body.
    Also soaking in honey also helps the body digest it, and it should conserve it.

I think the stored pollen has some propolis added additionally.. I'll read up on it.
    Last edited by Calum; 03-12-2013 at 10:04 AM.

Blog Entries

Falls die Bienen den Pollen längere Zeit einlagern wollen, so fügen sie Sekret aus den Speicheldrüsen und Honig hinzu. Der Pollen wird regelrecht in die Zellen gestampft. Eine Schicht Honig deckt den gestampften Pollen ab. Der Pollen wird durch diese Lagerung aufgeschlossen und leichter verdaulich. Gleichzeitig wir der Pollen durch eine Milchsäuregärung konserviert, ähnlich unserem Sauerkraut. Diesen Pollenvorrat nennt der Imker Bienen- oder Pollenbrot oder auch Perga.

If the bees want to store pollen for a long time, so they add secretions from the salivary glands (enzimes?) and honey. The pollen is literally stamped into the cells. A layer of honey covers the mashed pollen. The pollen is brokendown by this storage and easier to digest. At the same time the pollen is preserved by a lactic acid fermentation, similar to german sauerkraut. These pollen stores called the beekeeper bees or pollen bread or perga.