Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Murmuration

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    You should have come to Athlone, DR, there was one waddling about between my feet whilst I waited for Jon and Willie to provide a taxi service at Dublin airport. Very pretty close up in their winter plumage.

Do they taste nice, Brecks? Is that why you have some to spare?
    I have never eaten any and would not care to try it, in the hand they are greasy and smelly. There are far too many of them in my garden so I have plenty to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by brecks View Post
    I have never eaten any and would not care to try it
    I have, but only young ones, they make good eatin.

Quote Originally Posted by brecks View Post
    I have never eaten any and would not care to try it, in the hand they are greasy and smelly. There are far too many of them in my garden so I have plenty to spare.
    Hi brecks

Many years ago I was in the offices of the GMB union in London and one of the ladies there had saved an injured starling
    He lived in a cage in the office and was a cheeky little devil
    When he was better he was released
    As far as I know he never migrated after release just stayed in her garden

Default Murmuration

Not surprised ,there is a resident UK population of starlings.
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Some lovely photos on the BBC just now. Apparently we have a lot of foreign visitors at this time of year. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-25104625

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi brecks

Many years ago I was in the offices of the GMB union in London and one of the ladies there had saved an injured starling
    He lived in a cage in the office and was a cheeky little devil
    When he was better he was released
    As far as I know he never migrated after release just stayed in her garden
    Hi D. R.

That reminds me of another cheeky bird. When mowing the lawn 2 years ago, a Jackdaw landed on my head -a bit of a shock! It was clearly tame and we tried feeding it a wide variety of foods suitable for Jackdaws, but it would not eat any of them. It would fly about the area and come and go as it pleased, returning to strip the rubber from windscreen wipers and around car windows and sealant around the house windows. The next day it was sitting on my shoulder while I swept the driveway, when some local children told me it belonged to a friend of theirs and would only eat Hula Hoops. It was true! - it tucked into them greedily. Flew off the third day and not seen again, but cannot have lived long on that diet alone.

Hi brecks
    Loll ! Amazing bird story
    He probably pulled off one windscreen wiper too many
    You'll have to pick the pace up a bit with the lawnmower less standing still

The ones we saw were like Gavin's vid. but my digi camera doesn't have video.
    Wonder why they don't bump into each other.
    Last edited by Black Comb; 27-11-2013 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries

Must be that song from Elbow helping their coordination

When I was a lad (a wee while ago now) I used to go walking at Aberlady Bay in East Lothian where you could marvel at the waders (dunlin especially) doing the same kind of thing. So much more up-market than starlings, but less amenable to popping in a cage in a union office somewhere.