Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Dead bees from apidea

Blog Entries

I only treated this one with Oxalic yesterday though, so if it had mites they would be on the increase rather than disappearing.

I'd be pretty sure that abdominal stunting is nothing to do with mites siphoning out the haemolymph … almost certainly it will reflect gross changes in developmental gene expression triggered by the virus (or in the case of CBPV, in the newly emerged worker). There's a helluva lot going on and the virus throws a real spanner in the works, converting individual cells into factories for virus replication and triggering systemic responses which - frankly - bu*ger everything up). What's the highest mite load you've ever seen in a single cell? 5 or 6 perhaps, more usually 3 or less. I doubt that number have the capacity (I accept they'll "use" some of it for growth as well) to account for the smaller volume of the abdomen.

Gavin will probably pop up with a paper citing the haemolymph volume of mite-exposed and unexposed pupae … and whoever wrote that paper is surely someone to avoid at a dinner party.

CBPV has not been fully classified yet … however, treatment with acid appears to generate empty particles (which might be expected to be non-infectious):

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/content/2/2/251.short

though I'm not aware of anyone testing infectivity of these preparations. If you've got any Virkon that is sure to work.

Blog Entries

I have virkon tablets as well as acetic acid.

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    I'd be pretty sure that abdominal stunting is nothing to do with mites siphoning out the haemolymph … almost certainly it will reflect gross changes in developmental gene expression triggered by the virus (or in the case of CBPV, in the newly emerged worker). There's a helluva lot going on and the virus throws a real spanner in the works, converting individual cells into factories for virus replication and triggering systemic responses which - frankly - bu*ger everything up). What's the highest mite load you've ever seen in a single cell? 5 or 6 perhaps, more usually 3 or less. I doubt that number have the capacity (I accept they'll "use" some of it for growth as well) to account for the smaller volume of the abdomen.

Gavin will probably pop up with a paper citing the haemolymph volume of mite-exposed and unexposed pupae … and whoever wrote that paper is surely someone to avoid at a dinner party.

CBPV has not been fully classified yet … however, treatment with acid appears to generate empty particles (which might be expected to be non-infectious):

http://vir.sgmjournals.org/content/2/2/251.short

though I'm not aware of anyone testing infectivity of these preparations. If you've got any Virkon that is sure to work.
    Hey FS - i've been quoting this old paper for a wee while, there are no doubt others and better studies.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/apido:19850407

no mites per cell 100% volume (115ul)
    1-3 mites - 23% (88.23ul)
    4-6 mites - 40% (69ul)

This is on worker brood. Seems a fair reduction in volume !

Yes people avoid me at dinner parties

Blog Entries

I have removed the bottom apidea and floor and replaced it with a clean one.
    The old one is soaking in virkon
    I got some better pics as well.
    I tipped the debris and bees on to a piece of correx and could not find a single mite.

apidea-virus-bee-tongue-small.jpg apidea-virus-bee-shiny-small.jpg apidea-virus-floor-contents-small.jpg apidea-virus-floor.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by greengumbo View Post
    Hey FS - i've been quoting this old paper for a wee while, there are no doubt others and better studies.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/apido:19850407

no mites per cell 100% volume (115ul)
    1-3 mites - 23% (88.23ul)
    4-6 mites - 40% (69ul)

This is on worker brood. Seems a fair reduction in volume !

Yes people avoid me at dinner parties
    Blinking good read

That's exactly what I would have said if I had known anything about the subject

By the way your safe from me -- What is a dinner party ??

Blog Entries

Looks like starvation. the recent cold snap probably got them. stirr

Blog Entries

So what do the frames look like ? Hardly any stores?

Blog Entries

Don't be daft Phil. There are about 3k of stores in it.

Blog Entries

3 kg in an apidea ?