Thread: Meeting the local council's biodiversity officer

Default Meeting the local council's biodiversity officer

I was making a pitch to a local council manager a couple of weeks ago, how the Borough Council is spending £10,000s per year on plantings around the Borough and it would make sense to plant honeybee friendly plants as part of their existing programme.

Just got any email offering a meeting with the Biodiversity officer for next week and wanted to get my ducks in a row......

All suggestions, links to resources, peer examples in other councils, all welcome.

Blog Entries

You could bring up the timing of when they cut park grass.
    There must be thousands of honeybees, bumble bees and other pollinators shredded while they are on the clover on a sunny afternoon.
    The other main failing of councils is so-called 'keeping things tidy' with no comprehension of the wider environmental impact.
    This often involves cutting verges when the dandelion is in flower or 'tidying up' hedges which are providing forage for bees.
    Well done for getting this started. I brought it up a while back in our association that we should have someone to liaise with the local councils on issues such as these.

Here is a link to an article on Wexford Council policy
    Last edited by Jon; 13-11-2013 at 12:42 PM.

Good on you blackcave
    I don't know much but would suggest trees because they help with global warming ( essential to mention this I'm sure )
    they clean up polution in the air
    they are a home for thousands of creatures
    birds like 'em
    generally people like them as well particularily the flowering types like cherry
    kids love chestnut trees and climbing (best not mention climbing )
    and they provide lots of pollen and nectar from a (relatively)compact space
    you can leave them to get on with it so no constant maintaining etc
    http://www.bbka.org.uk/files/library...1306864371.pdf
    Also sping bulb planting dont plant doubles and daffodils are not much use compared to crocus, snowdrop etc
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 13-11-2013 at 01:31 PM.