Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: swarming stimuli

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Not wishing to burst anyones bubble but isnt all of this being viewed arse about face ? The raison d' etre of the colony is to swarm.
    Not always. There are some which are happy to supersede after 2 or 3 years without ever making swarm preparations.

I agree with DR. bees will often swarm at the cessation of a nectar flow. The only swarm I had this year was a colony I had just fetched back home from the rape fields, They swarmed within 2 hours of being placed on their stand and before I had a chance of an examination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Not always. There are some which are happy to supersede after 2 or 3 years without ever making swarm preparations.
    I dispute the "without ever", those dice are loaded for doom.

I really enjoyed Willie Robsons description of "repletes" in his delightful little book, Reflections on beekeeping ( hardly a well written, flowing narrative, but full of experience and bee wisdom). The repletes are the same bees Rosie describes here "redundant and are a burden to the colony", I know which description helps my often constipated brain have a more positive flow of understanding.

Thanks mbc. That's yet another book I haven't read so I just ordered it. While idly searching for reviews I came across this:

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/articles/wrobson1002.html

A lovely little talk by Willie.

Thanks for that Rosie
    very enjoyable read

Yes, I enjoyed Willie's insight, a good read

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Neils, I would have said exactly the same as you up until about 18 months ago but then I don't think I fully understood WHY the queen needed laying space. I just knew they would swarm if she ran out of it.
    Re-reading your original post, it's something I've read in a few places and not something that I necessarily have an argument against. In many respects space vs spread of bees goes hand in hand.

I still think that having bees building wax is generally a "good thing" when it comes to swarm prevention and I think it follows a similar logic. Lots of "bored" house bees with nothing to do possibly means that it is time to move on.

Blog Entries

My bees often supersede in the autumn and you sometimes find a box with two laying queens in the spring, later, the old Q usually becomes one of the "disappeared" never to be seen again.

Swarming is controlled by simply raising the brood over a queen2 board / sengrove or similar on first sign of larvae in cell cups. After the flying bees have rejoined the Q in the lower box the top box can be split for nucs or moved to a new stand if you want a stronger new colony. You can let them raise new queens from the existing swarm cells or introduce grafted queen cells or a new queen of known quality, its personal preferance and depends on your set up. This works for me and I don't loose a precious honey crop due to bees swarming