Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: swarming stimuli

Another "fact" which seems to be accepted is that colonies are more likely to swarm when headed by older queens.
    Does this fit in with your theory?

It might if you accept that old queens have a lower maximum laying rate than young queens so that the colony growth stalls earlier than would be the case with a young one. To be honest though I have not noticed much difference in the swarminess of old queens as compared to young ones. I suspect, in our climate and with our countryside, there are many other things that can cause stalling before the queen's maximum laying rate is reached. That would mask the age effect and explain why some beekeeping cultures and districts (I am thinking of the US in particular) think young queens are less prone to swarming while others don't see much difference.

Hence we are taught by some to requeen annually to avoid swarming. This, in my opinion, has done a lot of damage to our stocks and is but one of many faults in conventional thinking.

I remember in 2012,irrespective of the weather, many of the more experienced were saying it would be a swarmy year because May and June 2011 were continuos poor weather and queens were not properly mated.
    2012 proved them right?
    After all my colonies swarmed in 2012 none swarmed in 2013.

As with all these discussions it is often 'ceteris paribus' and very often they are not.

Blog Entries

At a risk of dragging it back level I'm not sure at a superficial level that the overall 'mix' of bee age makes as much difference as the overall area that the queen has to lay.

For the past couple of seasons I've been starting to experiment a little more around managing colonies, not so much with an aim to prevent/supress swarming as to boost weaker colonies.

As such I've tended to move sealed brood from stronger colonies into weaker ones and, as a result, replace full comb with empty. For a couple of seasons I've had very strong colonies 'happy' not to start swarm preparation while I continue to exchange sealed brood for empty comb. The week I stop making that room they begin to start swarm preparation. The first year I suspected this might happen, the second I was expecting it. Foundation can work, but empty comb seems to me to be much, much better unless you've got cause to swap two combs out. While I think that comb building can help, I prefer that to be happening in the supers if possible.

Running 14x12s in the balmy south I acknowledge that they're sometimes not big enough but it does make me wonder if, in the first instance, worrying too much other than ensuring there is empty comb for the queen to lay in is perhaps over thinking the 'problem'?

Neils, I would have said exactly the same as you up until about 18 months ago but then I don't think I fully understood WHY the queen needed laying space. I just knew they would swarm if she ran out of it.

If a colony becomes "honeyed - up" leaving the queen no laying space, will they make swarming preparations ? I don't think so , so what do you think.?

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    If a colony becomes "honeyed - up" leaving the queen no laying space, will they make swarming preparations ? I don't think so , so what do you think.?
    Would depend on time of year and flow, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by GRIZZLY View Post
    I think it would depend on what had been happening previously. If they had plenty of young adults I would expect them to swarm unless it was late in the season when populations naturally decline and workers are starting to reserve their powers for the winter.

Not wishing to burst anyones bubble but isnt all of this being viewed arse about face ? The raison d' etre of the colony is to swarm.

Sometimes it's external factors
    Oil seed rape Bonanaza rapid colony growth - lets swarm
    Then oil seed rape disappears not happy - lets swarm