View Poll Results: Are You raising your own queens if so-

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM

5 17.86%
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM(ish)

10 35.71%
  • I raise my own queens and the are carniolan

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are caniolan(ish)

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are buckfast

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Buckfast(ish)

4 14.29%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Italian

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are italian(ish)

0 0%
  • I raise my own queens and they are hybrid/allsorts

12 42.86%
  • I raise my own queens as part of a breeding group

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: A poll for the people who raise their own queens

If I'd bought a flock and half of them had died over winter, I'd tell someone trying to sell me more of the same to flock off !

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Could it have as much as anything to do with early availability at a manageable price? I suppose that if you'd lost a huge percentage of your herd through the previous winter anything that was alive could be seen as an improvement on empty boxes. I'm not of course saying that these bees aren't the works, just following your local knowledge with regards to their failings...
    Hi Prakel

I can only be sure of my own very limited knowledge (2 queens)
    From what I have read though there are a few sub types of Italian bees
    the very light golden type which often hail from NZ or the USA and a more brownish colour described as leather
    These second type seem to be altogether different and might be the ones Brother Adam incorporated in his breeding
    Up here there are several possible crops
    I am a static person with oil seed rape all around but not much fruit growing and no heather
    Higher up there is less agriculture no rape but lots of heather
    Lower down Gavin for instance would have rape and lots of fruit farming
    There is lots of other forage but the commercial beekeeper will follow the best crop
    That means starting with Rape which accounts for the popularity of the Carniolan with an early Spring build up
    Pollinating soft fruit might it might be not so important to have rapid Spring expansion again I am not sure
    On the heather a cold weather flyer is probably best suited so the people who live up there usually have the right bee for he job

Some big operators have tried Italian bees many years ago
    I don't think it worked out -- have to rely on Gavin there because it was when Bob Couston was the bee inspector well before my time LOL
    MBC I think a lot more than half of those died out in the first Winter
    That's not to say it can't be done with a better strain but buying in queens must be less costly than buying in package bees
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-12-2013 at 12:11 PM.

mbc: If I'd bought a flock and half of them had died over winter, I'd tell someone trying to sell me more of the same to flock off !
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Some big operators have tried Italian bees many years ago
    I don't think it worked out -- have to rely on Gavin there because it was when Bob Couston was the bee inspector well before my time LOL
    MBC I think a lot more than half of those died out in the first Winter
    That's not to say it can't be done with a better strain but buying in queens must be less costly than buying in package bees
    So, what kind of bees did the first major import in recent years replace? Also, how long had those bees been in Britain?
    Last edited by prakel; 09-12-2013 at 05:39 PM.

I will have to dig up that historical info Prakel
    My copy of Bob Couston's book "Principles of Practical Beekeeping " is printed in 1972 so at a guess it would be around or before that time
    Its fair to say that there might have been some mismanagement involved as well ie starvation
    I say that because I believe the originator of the Glenn Hive was a chap called Anderson and I think the bees he had in those hives were also Italian
    Bearing in mind he (Anderson) was in the Aberdeen area which is further north by along way from Perthshire

Regards the recent imports I think they were needed for fruit pollination work in Perthshire mostly and they came from Italy as packages which worried a lot of people
    Up here as soon as rape is over most of the migratory beekeeping disappears so I don't think they appeared
    They might this year though

Blog Entries

Default A poll for the people who raise their own queens

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I am a static person with oil seed rape all around ...

... have to rely on Gavin there because it was when Bob Couston was the bee inspector ...
    LOL! At last I have a good mental picture of you DR. There's a crow on each shoulder.

Never met Bob Couston though I do have a copy of his two books. I'm just a young man really.

Bees in the summer of 2008, mostly mixed up dark-leaning mongrels. A few pockets here and there of assorted recent imports.

After the winter of 2009 the begging bowl went out and there were large-scale imports of NZ carnies and some others. Also 2010.

Begging bowl out again in 2013 and this time the imports were mixed but quite a lot of Italians. So I believe anyway, haven't seen figures. The coordinator recommended requeening but whether anyone other than him actually did so I just don't know. And so there was a lurch in the direction of Italians in the Scottish honeybee stock, big mistake.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gavin; 09-12-2013 at 07:53 PM.

I can see that there's a bit of history to this can of worms and maybe i'm misunderstanding some of what's being written but I took mbc's post, #161, to be directly referring to recent imports of which half had died during the winter hence the reference regards not going back (next year) for more.

I'm just wondering why these guys keep buying stock that dies the following winter if that is what they're doing.

I have only known one person who tried to keep NZ Italians. She persevered for about 4 years, requeening regularly because they kept dying on her. In the end she had to admit defeat and got some local stock that made honey instead of bees. She had been advised to buy Italians from a friend of hers in Cornwall. I assume they did better there than in her region of the Peak District.

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    I'm just wondering why these guys keep buying stock that dies the following winter if that is what they're doing.
    Mike Palmer helps to answer this question in his talks on the sustainable apairy.

edited out: 16/12/13
    Last edited by prakel; 17-12-2013 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    I assume they did better there than in her region of the Peak District.
    There was a real craze on those things in the south, they were no good at all, gentle, built up huge colonies, collected honey, never stopped laying, ate all the honey, prone to acarine and paralyses, and died out every winter.