View Poll Results: Are You raising your own queens if so-

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM

5 17.86%
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM(ish)

10 35.71%
  • I raise my own queens and the are carniolan

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are caniolan(ish)

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are buckfast

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Buckfast(ish)

4 14.29%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Italian

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are italian(ish)

0 0%
  • I raise my own queens and they are hybrid/allsorts

12 42.86%
  • I raise my own queens as part of a breeding group

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: A poll for the people who raise their own queens

I play a bit of chess online, but recently haven't bothered much
    My subscription has lapsed
    If I go back though I can cough up the cash and keep the same login /user etc
    They haven't forgotten me (sob!!)
    I'm just in the lapsed member category for now

Hi all
    Well that's the poll closed now so thanks to everyone who voted and all those who contributed to the thread

Amm had a very strong showing reflecting the renewed interest in breeding them
    Hybrid bees again many people are choosing to breed from the best of their stock
    The very popular Buckfast again a fairly strong result showing lots of supporters of these bees
    Surprise the Carniolan vote is not as high as expected lots of these queens are sold every year (perhaps not for breeding from)
    Even more surprising the small turn out for the very lovely Italian bee

It horses for courses I expect and the weather up here in Scotland might not be as favourable for the sunny nature of the Italian bee

In some respects there is always difficulty maintaining any specific breed of bee
    Perhaps only those in fairly isolated locations can maintain their own chosen breed
    The alternative is to buy in your queens from a good supplier and for those with one or two hives particularly in a town or allotment location that might still be the best option
    For those fortunate enough to have a few more hives then it makes good sense to raise your own queens
    It is very straight forward and there are so many approaches that you can always find some thing that suits you

Starting with what you have and selecting from the best is a popular route
    Another possibility is buying in a queen and grafting from her
    Either way the daughter queens will be producing hybrid workers but you might prefer the second method if your existing stock is ill natured or prone to chalkbrood etc
    There are several expert queen raisers on this forum and they will help with any questions people may have to get them started next season
    I think everyone should have a go at improving their bees it's one of the simplest and most rewarding parts of beekeeping
    My own advice would be make up your own mind what you want from your bees and don't be overly concerned about current fashions, they come and go
    Best of luck with it next year anyone who decides it's time to dip their toe in the water

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    It horses for courses I expect and the weather up here in Scotland might not be as favourable for the sunny nature of the Italian bee
    Yet there is certainly no shortage of them up there, and plenty more on their way from what i gather.

If they were being produced here, or even brought in from well established stocks from colder parts of northern Europe, they would be more suitable than those from southern Italy.
    Last edited by Pete L; 08-12-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Hi Pete
    I think the nicest Italians were the ones brought in by KBS
    If you wanted to keep bees in a London suburban garden (or similar)
    The gentlest temperament, they came via NZ
    Even the most clumsy beekeeper could not rile them in any way
    As I say though it's horses for courses
    I believe there were a lot of Italian package bees brought in to East Scotland from Italy this year by commercial op
    I think most folk are happier with queens being imported than packages

Default A poll for the people who raise their own queens

Bees are bees .
    Commercial Beekeepers in NewZealand count stings by the thousand during a season. A friend of mine has worked on NewZealand bee enterprises for a few years now . Each employed beekeeper looks after a thousand hives , no time for finesse . He tells me the bees come out to meet them ,way ,way from the hives and they mean business! The hives are grouped in areas where wild horses Brumes? Roam freely , often running through and between the colonies .
    Needless to say, he doesn't wax lyrical about the gentleness of the bees he has to work with
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wee willy View Post
    Needless to say, he doesn't wax lyrical about the gentleness of the bees he has to work with
    WW
    I'm no cynic but that sounds a bit like the old trick of keeping the best and exporting the rest!

I believe there were a lot of Italian package bees brought in to East Scotland from Italy this year by commercial op
    There were, and they will be followed by a lot more in 2014, i am sure, but not only to Scotland.
    Last edited by Pete L; 08-12-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Hi Wee Willie

I am sure you are right any type of bee can be bad tempered
    KBS are not doing those Italian queens now
    I had two once upon a time, That was when my great nephew was about 6 and interested in the bees
    They were always in a good mood and I could get the top off safely when he wanted a look in
    Never made much honey, and they did need a good feed before winter, but they were the most docile I have ever had
    You can never rely on a generalisation but individual queen breeders have standards they tend to maintain
    In the same sense that chablis can range from paint stripper to lovely depending who supplies it
    (my home brewed stuff most often fits into the rubbing alchohol category )

Door finally back on shed after the storm

Pete
    Wonder why the Italian bee is on the increase it's not the best one for the rape crop this far North (generalisation lol)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 08-12-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Pete
    Wonder why the Italian bee is on the increase it's not the best one for the rape crop this far North (generalisation lol)
    Because they are pretty colours and nice and fluffy, and most of the commercial guys love them.

Could it have as much as anything to do with early availability at a manageable price? I suppose that if you'd lost a huge percentage of your herd through the previous winter anything that was alive could be seen as an improvement on empty boxes. I'm not of course saying that these bees aren't the works, just following your local knowledge with regards to their failings...