View Poll Results: Are You raising your own queens if so-

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM

5 17.86%
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM(ish)

10 35.71%
  • I raise my own queens and the are carniolan

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are caniolan(ish)

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are buckfast

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Buckfast(ish)

4 14.29%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Italian

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are italian(ish)

0 0%
  • I raise my own queens and they are hybrid/allsorts

12 42.86%
  • I raise my own queens as part of a breeding group

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll for the people who raise their own queens

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    Beo did it for nothing by marking young bees and finding them still around after 10 weeks. I doubt if he tried it with other races though.
    Unless he did the same experiment with several colonies of, say, two different races in the same apiary (some AMM and some Ligustica for example) there is no way a conclusion can be drawn. If Beo had tested on just one colony that was queenless for some part of the experiment, then the bees would tend to live longer that the nominal 6 weeks, even in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    A good example is apiguard. If your bees abscond during treatment and you write to Vita to complain, they will send a reply questioning the average temperature during treatment and a 25g sachet of apiguard to try next time, to my mind a tacit acknowledgement that the full 50g dose was formulated for dadant boxes and are much too much for national hives. They wont market the smaller sachet though, as the canny Scots, Tykes and Cardies would only want to pay half !
    As an honorary Scot on this forum, I like the idea of using only 1/2 the dose and paying similarly. Us Norfolk boys don't like spending money either!
    In fact I use a bucket of Apiguard and slop on what is 'about right' and a smaller colony tends to get a bit less than a double brood stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Unless he did the same experiment with several colonies of, say, two different races in the same apiary (some AMM and some Ligustica for example) there is no way a conclusion can be drawn.
    Of course - that's why I added the second sentence. In truth I don't believe anyone knows how long bees live because it varies and I hold that view despite having no scientific proof that it varies. At least Beo tested his own bees and explained how he did the test so that people can draw their own conclusions. Beo, by the way, was an entomologist and I believe academically qualified.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    At least Beo tested his own bees and explained how he did the test so that people can draw their own conclusions. Beo, by the way, was an entomologist and I believe academically qualified.
    According to the introduction of 'Honeybees of the British isles' he was an entomologist in the Government Agricultural Advisory Service. He lectured on bee management, spray poisoning and pollination

Another sentence of his in the introduction caught my eye as well. 'Large committees with all views represented seem unable to achieve consensus between their members'
    Could be a description of Bibba from beyond the grave!

He also noted that you could cross native bees from any part of the British Isles without getting hybrid aggression effects and mentioned the importance of Including Ireland in any bee breeding efforts.
    Good man Beo for that comment!
    Last edited by Jon; 28-11-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    He also noted that you could cross native bees from any part of the British Isles without getting hybrid aggression effects and mentioned the importance of Including Ireland in any bee breeding efforts.
    Good man Beo for that comment!
    Yes I've been taking him at his word and haven't yet found it wanting although I am keen not to overwhelm the local stock by flooding them with imported ones (from other parts of the UK that is).
    Last edited by Rosie; 28-11-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo

If beekeeping resembles art then most of us myself included are still painting by numbers
    It's good to absorb the knowledge and benefit from the expertise of others
    But in the end we have to find our own way of dealing with the bees we have in the place we have them

Perhaps the black bees are grumpy because they are old ?? (and French)
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 28-11-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: mention auld alliance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I see very few bad tempered colonies among my own and if I do the queens don't hang around for long.
    Rubbish in Rubbish out applies so if you graft from a gentle colony the daughter queens are usually fine.

Hi Jon
    Just kidding there grumpy old men or grumpy old bees

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post

Very clever, a bit close to the bone to elicit more than a grumpy chuckle though.

Blog Entries

Careful, DR might start another poll on beekeeper age