View Poll Results: Are You raising your own queens if so-

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM

5 17.86%
  • I raise my own queens and they are AMM(ish)

10 35.71%
  • I raise my own queens and the are carniolan

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are caniolan(ish)

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are buckfast

2 7.14%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Buckfast(ish)

4 14.29%
  • I raise my own queens and they are Italian

1 3.57%
  • I raise my own queens and they are italian(ish)

0 0%
  • I raise my own queens and they are hybrid/allsorts

12 42.86%
  • I raise my own queens as part of a breeding group

4 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A poll for the people who raise their own queens

Default A poll for the people who raise their own queens

I wonder if a poll of what people are up to with their queen raising might be fun
    You can choose more than one option which you will need if you are in a breeding group
    Your votes are not public so you don't need to defend them
    I think if you choose the (ish) option you would be saying about 50% or more that type of bee
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 09-11-2013 at 05:18 PM.

Hmmm...doesn't really describe me completely. Currently raising Amm-ish queens (and voted that way) but want to be closer to option one and am working towards that.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Hmmm...doesn't really describe me completely. Currently raising Amm-ish queens (and voted that way) but want to be closer to option one and am working towards that.
    You can have more than one option
    But I think that you will have a different vote next year if you get that Schley ?? is it called working
    I am more concerned about the Sleigh (Santa's) that is
    Can it be that time of year again ??

Aye DR - things will be accelerating nicely (I hope) once me and Dr Schley team up with our fiendish apparatus!

Blog Entries

Nowt much to say on this right now other than .... Jon and me and Keith and all say ... Hello from Athlone!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Nowt much to say on this right now other than .... Jon and me and Keith and all say ... Hello from Athlone!!
    Hope you all have a good weekend.

I ticked a few of the boxes in the poll, there are also a few other sub species not included, but i believe the poll is limited to ten options.

I am surprised to see that out of only 7 voters one is breeding pure Buckfast. I have only ever heard of one person with pure stock and he produced first crosses and so had to replace his breeder queen every year.

I have a feeling that 'Buckfast' is a concept and would regard them as a 'type'
    Pure implies a fixed subspecies which Brother Adams never really claimed.
    There are breeders out there trying to preserve the desired features of this bee type and making a good job of it in many cases
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sure you are right WW but as far as I know it's extremely difficult to obtain decent Buckfasts - especially from abroad. The queens usually on offer are of excellent stock but have been open mated and don't breed true. In fact I have had a couple of 2nd generation ones try to kill me. Decent Buckfast-ish ones are probably much more common than ones that can boast any sort of continuous pedigree - hence my surprise to find a tick in the pure Buckfast box. We are probably saying the same thing WW but using different words.

Probably
    Aggression is a dominant gene although I make no claim to be an expert but given the nasty traits of some carnie crosses this would appear so!
    Aggression would be an advantageous tool in the survival strategy and is bound to turn up from time to time in an open mating scenario ?
    WW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk