Thread: I need better pollination

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

I have 'Crop Pollination by Bees' by Keith Delaplane and Daniel Mayer in front of me and there's a whole chapter on blueberries. It is worth getting a copy. For highbush blueberry (assuming that is what you have) they do self-pollinate but crops will be better with bees. The mean number of hives per hectare from a variety of studies is 7.5 which means for your 30ha you'd need around 225 colonies (!), presumably scattered around your fields in small groups. That is quite something, and other than keeping your own (a full time job requiring years of experience!) renting them from a bee farmer (and a relatively well organised one at that)* seems the only realistic option. Or (and) maximise the numbers of wild pollinators on your farm. The trouble with them is that some bumble bees will prefer to cut through the back of the flower rather than go in legitimately at the front. With all of these you still have the issue of the preference of bees for oilseed rape when it is competing.

If the rental of honeybees is anything like the rates paid for Californian almond pollination (I just don't know what you'd expect to pay in the UK) then that might cost over £20k. Still, if it gives you a 25% increase in yield at 1000kg/ha (guessing!) it may still be worth your while.

For cherry, the literature average is 2.5 hives per ha. Honeybees will be more effective than on blueberry, but still they're unlikely to bring in a honey crop or show much benefit for the beekeeper, so you'd be best considering paying for the pollination service to get someone to go to all the bother of moving them in and reducing whatever other honey crop they'd be getting.

Strawbs? Nothing much for the beekeeper, but honeybees will help. Rasps? See comments above. Good for the bees, the beekeeper and the rasp farmer. One word of caution - fruit in tunnels may be less easily worked by honeybees. They don't cope well with enclosed structures.

Another point to make is that the country to the S of Aberdeen can be rather unforgiving in spring. If there's a cool breeze honeybees will stay at home but maybe bumble bees would go out and do useful stuff in the flowers. On the other hand with maybe 20k bees sitting at home there is a lot that they can do during those brief calm 1hr sunny warm spells in the middle of the day.

*There are about 10 in Scotland but only a couple are likely to be able to deliver bees to Aberdeenshire when you need them and reliably.

Should I set myself up as a pollination consultant?!

G.

I did try and reply but i think i must of been time out or something, so i will write again.

Thanks for all the replys I will get in touch with my local association to see if it is feasable for us to keep our own bees, in terms of managment time required.

The bumble bees do break into the side of the blueberry flower as mentioned above, which isnt good for polination. we are also going to try Masson bees next year as a trial, supposibly they are good workers. I think ideally we would rent the bees from someone else as we have quite a lot to do without caring for thousands of bees but if we have to do it as part of producing good yields we will have to do it. I will also try some commercial bee keepers or maybe there is an enterprising aspiring bee keeper reading this post .

Gavin i think you should set your self up as a pollination contractor!!

also you are right polly tunnel plastic can confuse honey bees, something to be worked on.

Gavin ... How do honeybees do working open ended polytunnels? Maybe in Aberdeenshire they're not open ended enough. I know they don't like being completely closed in. What about hives with double entrances - one facing 'out' and one 'in'?

Soft Fruit ... Not sure about aspiring beekeepers here ... it's been a long day and I think I'm an expiring one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Gavin ... How do honeybees do working open ended polytunnels? Maybe in Aberdeenshire they're not open ended enough. I know they don't like being completely closed in. What about hives with double entrances - one facing 'out' and one 'in'?
    I've heard of them being used in open-sided polytunnels but am not sure just how well they cope. Some of the fruit tunnels have a fair part of the side open so maybe they can work these ones, not sure. I'd maybe park them near the tunnels so that they fly in and fly out.

In closed tunnels bumble bees can find their way around and avoid panicking after flying up and finding their way blocked.

I would imagine that the blueberries are in the open field but strawbs and rasps not.