Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Maud bees

It's the eggs which float that you need to watch

Is anybody going to offer me some Maud bees ?
    Who is hording them all ?
    I have remote controls for TV's I haven't owned for the last 20 years ?
    Why don't people look after their stuff ?
    This is really the disposable society gone mad
    Maud Bees now gentlemen please !!

Apologies if I have missed this but can anyone tell me:-
    1. Where is the genome (DNA) of the amm kept and who identified it?
    2. Where did it come from? How do we know this is "real" amm?

Maud bees were Amm bees discovered in the village of Maud in Aberdeenshire by Bernard Mobus who subsquently bred from them as they were particulary good examples of Amm. The queens were then sent all over Scotland. This was before DNA and genomic techniques were easily available, however Polyhive has mentioned doing wing morphometry on the Maud bees. The influence of the Maud bees was also seen when John and Morna Stoakley did their survey in the late eighties to look for Amm areas in Scotland. (The results of this study can be viewed on the SBAi forum under the Fife bee breeding course). I also know that 10 Maud queens were sent Andrew on Colonsay when he was first setting up. He did have other Amm colonies at the time so the Colonsay bees are not exclusive Maud bees.(personal communication) After visiting Andrew this summer and seeing his Amm colonies I suspect that the Maud queens he got has influenced the nice bees he has today

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    So fine let's have AMM bees but let's not make claims for them that they are the original bees of Britain
    If AMM weren't the original bees of Britain DR which was the original strain? Or do you think the range of honeybees didn't extend to the British Isles?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Comb View Post
    Apologies if I have missed this but can anyone tell me:-
    1. Where is the genome (DNA) of the amm kept and who identified it?
    2. Where did it come from? How do we know this is "real" amm?
    Good questions Black Comb. I would be interested to know myself. I do know though that one person who probed too deeply some years ago (at the time of the Pederson study I believe) made himself extremely unpopular. I have been hoping that the Project Discovery report might reveal such things but it seems to have been kicked into the long grass. It sounds disloyal to say this but I sent my samples in about 5 years ago so it's a long time to have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    If AMM weren't the original bees of Britain DR which was the original strain? Or do you think the range of honeybees didn't extend to the British Isles?
    FoFl nice bit of editing there Drumgerry here's the original line

So fine let's have AMM bees but let's not make claims for them that they are the original bees of Britain and were wonderful no-one has any idea what they might have been like.

On one occasion a chap questioned by police in his statement said " I did it because I was mad at him at the time "
    In court it was read out by the police as -- when asked why he did it the accused said the "he was mad"
    Same effect

I didn't quote that bit of the sentence DR because I agree with it. Of course no one can actually know what characteristics the original indigenous bees of these islands displayed. My suspicion is that what is described by the likes of Ruttner is not so far removed from those original bees because (unlike you I think but please correct me if I'm wrong) I don't believe we've had millenia of selective breeding of them.

What surprised me from your post was the bit I did actually quote - that we shouldn't claim AMM as the original bees of Britain. I can't see any other likely candidates can you?

Guilty M'Lud

http://www.honigbiene.ch/attachments...sis_Soland.pdf

Switzerland like Amm bees quite interesting read

Is the dark colour of AMM dominant over the lighter coloured AML and Buckfast?