Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Maud bees

Thanks Polyhive for the information. Do you know if any of the Craibstone material went to the Moir? There is also speculation that a lot of the Maud strain were sent to various parts of Scotland ie North of Scotland and Peebles do you have any knowledge of this?

Bernard raised cells on a pretty large scale and I know for sure that batches in the 100's went to Bert Mason at St Cycrus. I took queens to the post office myself and they were going all over. I cannot say one way or the other about Peebles though Moira Stokley may well know about that. Queens certainly went to Conon Bridge that I do know for a fact. When John Stokley hosted the BIBBA event the heid yins fae doon sooth were amazed by the wing measurements. I had bees that were off the scale on the negative side, then they left and that was that. Very disappointing as we had hoped John and I to be a northern base for them.

Moir. Not that I know of, Bernard took his stuff away and I took over and when I left I left it as I found it. What the college has done with the historical stuff (kit I mean not papers) in the loft I dread to think. I honestly do not think they know what they have and are blissfully unaware of the slides re Acarine.

PH

Funny how history repeats itself. We had some BIBBA committee visit us a number of years ago when we showed them some wing results from our local bees. we were new to this morphometry thing and wanted their opinion on the results. One comment I always remember was we had starting results that some BIBBA members down south would love to have and been trying to breed their bees for years to get similar results

Precisely. A very odd mind set indeed. My experience was that they had their theories proven in Scotland and couldn't wait to get back to their comfort zone down south and back to playing again.

PH

Blog Entries

The problem is that there is a considerable element within Bibba who think it is wrong to move bees around the British Isles, which makes it difficult for most people to acquire a good queen to start grafting from. That is one of the main sources of Frustration for many.

The massive problem that BIBBA has and historically has is they love playing secret squirrel. Dave Cushman despaired of their communications, and he offered times to set up a forum for them and the answer was always no. I myself see no issues in moving native bees from one part to another. There is a huge difference between localised and native. The main complaint and it has been discussed over the years on several forums is that there is no source of AMM to be had. I tried a couple which had been imported to get a start again I thought but they were frankly rubbish and I am not even positive that they were AMM. And so it goes on.

PH

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    I am starting with the film. I took the film and had it put on DVD, as far as I know it was NOT filmed at Craibstone, but it was shown as part of the then SBA Expert course which Bernard ran. To give a glimpse of the mans abilities it went like this. Friday 7pm to 9-30. Saturday 9am to 9pm. Sunday same. Monday afternoon exam. Bernard apart from the odd film lectured the whole time. Personally I find it hard on the voice box to lecture for two hours. I thought the film deserved a wider audience so posted it on youtube so it sits there generating many positive comments, and probably has had more views now then it ever had on 16mm.
    PH

Can you supply a link to the Mobus video please? I've looked on your website, searched youtube with mobus, craibstone, poly hive etc, found your channel TheShenachie but can't find the Mobus video.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The problem is that there is a considerable element within BIbbA who think it is wrong to move bees around the British Isles, which makes it difficult for most people to acquire a good queen to start grafting from. That is one of the main sources of Frustration for many.
    Jon it dismays me to hear you say this. It is true that some BIBBA members don't like parachuting bees around but others are trying strenuously to encourage people to ship their queens to less fortunate areas. BIBBA's current chairman and, to be fair to him to last one too, were/are both committed to this and you can't get higher than that at BIBBA. The problem is that the ones with the purest bees can't or will not release sufficient numbers to satisfy the huge demand for them.

Galtee group used to be particularly good at this and are an important and influential part of BIBBA. They acknowledge the help of other BIBBA groups in helping them to set up in the first place. Now they find it difficult to continue to supply bees because of red tape but others are actively trying to get their bees up to the stage where they can step forward to help fill the demand.

BIBBA is only as good as its groups at the end of the day and some of those who carp (I don't include Jon here because I am well aware of the excellent work he is doing) have or have had some of the purest bees but prefer to moan about others rather than do something constructive. Fortunately we have some keen and energetic new groups springing up in Scotland and elsewhere. They seem to have a much healthier attitude as well as enthusiasm and drive and it fills me with confidence for the future.

Steve

http://poly-hive.co.uk/recourses/beg...0s-beekeeping/

It is an interesting video though does not feature Bernard.

PH

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
    It is true that some BIBBA members don't like parachuting bees around but others are trying strenuously to encourage people to ship their queens to less fortunate areas. BIBBA's current chairman and, to be fair to him to last one too, were/are both committed to this and you can't get higher than that at BIBBA.
    Steve, I appreciate things are changing but there are still mixed messages coming out. Bibba should clarify its position and put out a clear policy statement on the website and in the magazine. If this has already been done, apologies for I have missed it.

We have some of the same issues in NIHBS over issues like wing morphometry, but have set up a science committee to try and clarify them. Once a policy has been agreed, individuals will have to sign up to it and show collective responsibility.
    Nothing worse than a loose cannon or two undermining the good work being done at committee level.