Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maud bees

Blog Entries

Deafening silence about the maud bees. Someone must know something.

GG. From the Jensen paper P102.
    The analysis failed to detect a clear phylogeographical pattern of
    the Scandinavian, British, Belgian and French populations
    of A. m. mellifera, irrespective of whether introgression
    of A and C-haplotypes was taken into account (Fig. 5a)
    or not (Fig. 5b). This is because the extant A. m. mellifera
    populations mostly have the same spectrum of haplotypes,
    consistent with a fairly recent common ancestry (Garnery
    et al. 1998a).
    ie, if the common ancestry is recent you would not easily be able to distinguish one AMM population from another.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Deafening silence about the maud bees. Someone must know something.

GG. From the Jensen paper P102.

ie, if the common ancestry is recent you would not easily be able to distinguish one AMM population from another.
    Yeah that was my understanding as well.

Off topic again so cut
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 01-11-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: off topic

Blog Entries

Re. Mobus and the maud bees:
    This presentation is elsewhere on the Sbai site.

But the last slide is where we really want it to start!!

If you look at the presenters note on slide 14 of the presentation John mentions that the bees found in Peebles were from Bernard Mobus Maud bees

Blog Entries

Mobus was a copious record keeper. There must be masses of information somewhere.

They must be gone otherwise somebody would have come along saying they were continuing the breeding ?

Well maybe I can contribute to this thread in a bit of detail.

Before I start I had a phone call tonight from the far south alerting me to this thread, I assume that some of the posters are aware of my site and that I can be contacted via there. www.poly-hive.co.uk

I am starting with the film. I took the film and had it put on DVD, as far as I know it was NOT filmed at Craibstone, but it was shown as part of the then SBA Expert course which Bernard ran. To give a glimpse of the mans abilities it went like this. Friday 7pm to 9-30. Saturday 9am to 9pm. Sunday same. Monday afternoon exam. Bernard apart from the odd film lectured the whole time. Personally I find it hard on the voice box to lecture for two hours. I thought the film deserved a wider audience so posted it on youtube so it sits there generating many positive comments, and probably has had more views now then it ever had on 16mm.

Maud queens. Bernard told me it was a queen he found in the village of Maud in Aberdeenshire and it was a colony which deeply impressed him. Believe me right now and here that it took a great deal to impress that man. When Bernard was forced to retire by the college I took on Craibstone, and the Maud strain, and his bees too. I bought 14 colonies from him. At the time Hamish Robertson was also running AMM and doing very well off their backs for all of that. My best result was (I hate to admit this but for veracity) the best crop I ever had was 320lbs of honey from a timber National. I would love to say otherwise but I have to be honest. The best Mauds were excellent. Any aspect you can think off they were up to or surpassed. However they had two critical weaknesses, which Bernard freely acknowledged. They were susceptible to Nosema and were not the best at over wintering. On the plus side they were excellent at superceding on the heather and their comb honey won me more than a few prizes of a red hue.

Sadly after I left Craibstone life got in the way of beekeeping and my last colonies some 15 or so were burnt by a farmer I curse daily.

So there you are that is what happened, and yes they were true AMM I did hundreds of wing measurements to prove it at at the time using the most modern methods available at the time.

Paper work. Not sure who wants what but there was very little that I found. On the other hand what was lost/ignored by the college was priceless. The original slides by Rennie? If that means nothing then I suggest some reading on Acarine. Bernard was doing his work when I knew him first in 1986 on a computer and when I took over at Craibstone in 1998 it had gone with him so it must have be literally a PC.

I hope this clears some of the historical fog.

PH

PH
    Last edited by Poly Hive; 01-11-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Poly Hive View Post
    ...my last colonies some 15 or so were burnt by a farmer I curse daily. ...
    Deliberately?

Yes. Not going to discuss as still very painful.

PH