Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maqs

Default Maqs

Been using Apivar the last two years with good results. I get it by mail order and on prescription from Bridge Vets in Dumfries. Never used it with supers on though and I doubt I'd be keen to.

I've also used Apivar, bought it from the Bee Vet but sometimes local bee farmers order too many and have some spare.

The strips are about 20cm long and about 3 or 4 cm wide. Two per full hive, leave them in for at minimum of 6 weeks to cover two complete brood cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by drumgerry View Post
    Sounds promising -any mention of temperature sensitivity for use Fatshark? That's what kills Apiguard for me where I am.
    No mention at all, and I didn't think to ask. It looks like they do a lot of testing in Greece though so they might not have checked the lower end of the range! The active ingredient are beta acids (whatever they are) and they are only effective against phoretic mites. The kill rate as about 80% which is quite a bit lower than Apiguard.

Roger White (aka Norton) has been using Hopguard in Cyprus.

http://www.vita-europe.com/news/vita...rol-treatment/

http://www.betatechopproducts.com/pr...te-control.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2y4rndPhlo

It has been available in the USA for a while, there are a few threads about it on Beesource.

They look slightly messy but simple enough to use

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default Re: Maqs

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    ...The active ingredient are beta acids (whatever they are) ....
    I'm not sure what you're referring to, Fatshark - MAQS or Apivar - but in either case the active ingredient is not beta acids. That's Hopguard. MAQS: formic acid; Apivar: Amitraz ( as MBC said).

You can see I'm studying for Module 3 - pests and diseases.

Kitta

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Default Re: Maqs

PS I just followed the links back and I can now see that you were talking about Hopguard. Sorry about the above, Fatshark. My mistake. K
    Last edited by Mellifera Crofter; 28-10-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: removed quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    PS I just followed the links back and I can now see that you were talking about Hopguard. Sorry about the above, Fatshark. My mistake. K
    I thought drumgerry was inquiring about MAQS temperature dependency as well
    Don't know why

Never used MAQS for fear of queen problems so I didn't know it was temp dependent as well - thanks for the info DR! One of the selling points of Apivar to me is that it's not.