Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maqs

Default Maqs

This is a fairly new treatment have you tried it and if so what experiences would you like to pass on ?

I'm reading elsewhere that using it late season can result in queenless hives ?

Hi DR ... one or two similar stories from people at the National Honey Show. Queenlessness or quite a few dead bees. And related, but drifting off topic ... Max Watkins (?) from Vita talked about a new product they will be marketing based upon hops that appears to be a) well tolerated, b) usable anytime and c) not quite as good as Apiguard. Should be here in 2015.

Blog Entries

I know a few who used it locally without problems.
    Haven't tried it out myself yet.

I have a feeling MAQS might be best as a Spring treatment because you can still fix things if the queen gets taken out
    I had heard a little about the hop based treatment Fatshark, it has a very low toxicity to the bees I believe ?
    It's good to have a few alternatives
    I used the exomite apis a few times and that killed a proportion of the brood, mainly just at the bottom of the frames and the young stuff, but it was a bit worrying when the bees flung out a little pile of dead brood onto the landing board
    The MAQS is the only treatment that claims it's safe to use when the supers are on so might be popular in some quarters for that alone

Quote Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
    Max Watkins (?) from Vita talked about a new product they will be marketing based upon hops
    Sounds promising -any mention of temperature sensitivity for use Fatshark? That's what kills Apiguard for me where I am.

Apivar can also be used when the supers are on.
    My first impressions of MAQS are that the strips are too much for a single national box, about half a strip per box seems more appropriate. Otherwise it appears to be quite an effective easy to use at any time, stopgap treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Apivar can also be used when the supers are on.
    My first impressions of MAQS are that the strips are too much for a single national box, about half a strip per box seems more appropriate. Otherwise it appears to be quite an effective easy to use at any time, stopgap treatment.
    Is that Apilife Var mbc the thymol biscuits ?

The temperature requirements for MAQS are fairly restrictive as well Drumgerry with the added danger that if the temperature is high the bees can be harmed
    Last edited by The Drone Ranger; 27-10-2013 at 07:32 PM.

No, Apivar, the active ingredient is amitraz, its the one you need to get off your vet (or anyone you know travelling on the continent with time to pop into a beekeeping suppliers )

Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    No, Apivar, the active ingredient is amitraz, its the one you need to get off your vet (or anyone you know travelling on the continent with time to pop into a beekeeping suppliers )
    I have heard of that, but never seen it.
    Sometimes the names sound so similar it's worth checking