Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bee magazines

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Popz.I spotted a whale and her calf last year off the Pacific coast while I was lying in a hammock with a bottle of Corona in my hand. I claim my Mars bar! This was one I saw the previous year when we went out in a boat looking for them.

Attachment 172

I think it is a humpback. We followed it in the launch for at least 15 minutes.
    Scrivens Jon - an adult humpback it is, and a very original sighting indeed from hammock and with Corona. I guess I shall have to acknowledge, so if you PM me with some sort of address, you may find breakfast arriving on your doorstep.

PS. Before any other bright spark gets a similar idea, there is only one prize per trip for the first sighting - and this is it!

Blog Entries

What if you don't like Mars bars? I like a good bitter dark chocolate myself

Blog Entries

What if you don't like Mars bars?
    You are quite right. The last thing my gut needs is a Mars bar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    On the subject of bee magazines ... would it not be a better idea for the SBA to make the current monthly magazine a quarterly magazine similar to BIBBA with a view to improving the quality of production.

Jimbo
    I find the SBA magazine is not easy to read due to the small print. It might be a good idea to reduce the number of magazines and improve the quality instead, but not to quarterly but to 2-monthly. This would mean half the money for postage and maybe more funding for pictures.

I very much appreciate to have a Scottish magazine, by the way. We need local information and lots of beekeepers are not quite internet ready yet.

Doris

Blog Entries

You are certainly right Doris that the magazine reaches people who wouldn't or can't use the internet. It is the best way that the organisation reaches out to its members. Fora like this are fine (no, great!), and the local association secretaries meeting in the autumn, the council meeting, the autumn convention and the AGM are all good ways for members to interact with the office-bearers and for members to keep up to date on beekeeping issues, but the magazine is the still the best way for most people to keep in touch with beekeeping nationally and internationally.

We'll take all these suggestions to the folk that try to run the SBA and the magazine on behalf of the members. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this comes up for discussion again at our council meeting later in the year, the forum for discussing and agreeing SBA policy.

So - any more views on *other* beekeeping periodicals? Does anyone take any of the American journals and are they worth the money?

all the best

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    Do you take your alpacas to the RHS? If so, we may have exchanged pleasantries.

G.
    No but we know the people who do! Showing of our animals isn't a top priority for us right now and others are considering it very carefully as well. Scotland has TB free status and the last thing we'd want to do is bring it into the country.

Gerry