Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The real problem facing beekeeping in 2014

Default The real problem facing beekeeping in 2014

I'm starting an early search for a decent shade of green to mark next years queens
    Something visible, light, possibly fluorescent, anything except the last one which was bleeding impossible to spot
    I'm going to really miss red so badly
    Yellow is fine when it comes around
    White is no problem
    But blooming green again it's getting me down already

Blog Entries

Best not move across the water. Rumour has it that it is green every year there. I'll be off in a few weeks to check that out myself.

2013 should have been the year of green given the progress made by the NIHBS.

However, this 5-year colour scheme, isn't it just necessary for Amm beekeepers?!

Blog Entries

Mark them the colour you can identify best and keep colony records for your queens.
    Some of mine end up with two colours if I have to remark them after a year or two.

Blog Entries

You'd never have guessed that DR was such a conformist, would you? Mine are usually white. Sometimes I do get organised part way through the season and do some in the 'right' colour but then I'll lose it and turn to white again. One of these days I'll actually start using the little numbered discs from BuzzyBee and then I'll be *really* organised.

Being red-green colourblind doesn't help either ...
    I use either white or blue. Oh yes, and metallic silver/gold for a queen in an observation hive. I'm unlikely to raise more than two parallel lines of queens in any year, so use the two colours to indicate provenance.
    By the time you get round to using those numbered disks Gavin the glue will have gone off ... mine has, and superglue isn't a suitable replacement.
    Last edited by fatshark; 18-10-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: spelin'

When I used the numbers I found that some bees chewed them off the queens. To increase the chances of finding the queen I first put a spot of Humbrol paint on her thorax with end of matchstick and before the paint had chance to dry I applied the numbered disc ie using the paint as the glue. If her workers chewed off the disc I could still recognise the queen from the coloured spot underneath it. Some people apply the green paint and when dry apply a small white spot in the middle of it or vice versa.

I think I will mix my own from the blue and the yellow bottle that should give me something to do during Winter

If you don't want to spend all winter staring at two small bottles of paint, and want to stick to the approved colours you could try fluorescent green? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...r=590062717172

I'm much the same Gavin. I just use the pen I have that is working no matter the colour. Got a good supply of the little numbered discs which will be put to good use next year on anaesthetised II queens. On conscious queens I'd be worried where I put the glue. Saw a queen lately marked with tippex which had been spread down her wings. I think that person was lucky she hadn't been superceded

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    I think I will mix my own from the blue and the yellow bottle that should give me something to do during Winter
    Or the red and the white for any gay customers eh DR?! That would give a whole new meaning to marking your queens lol!