Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonsay reserve approved!

Default Colonsay reserve approved!

Maybe he might be interested in learning II techniques to speed up any queen breeding improvements he wants to make. I feel that as we have only one of these reserves we need to throw everything at it to make it the best it can be.

After visiting Andrew back in June he has a pefectly good breeding system already. When I was there a few people were picking up 5 frame nucs in the paynes poly hives. Some were on their way to Ireland to improve their stocks. Some people were picking just up queens. He also overwinters queens in Nucs or in Apideas. Andrew will supply queens but would prefer they go to people who are trying to improve their Amm. It was also mentioned that he supplies beekeepers in Mull and other Amm strongholds which he sees as an extension of Colonsay.
    As an added extra if you visit Colonsay it will dispel the myth that Amm are agressive. Andrew has been selective breeding for over 30 years in an enclosed system and the improvements he has made is amazing.
    If you are going to visit Andrew he insists you leave all your beekeeping equipment behind and is strong on biosecurity for the Island

Blog Entries

Default Colonsay reserve approved!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    As an added extra if you visit Colonsay it will dispel the myth that Amm are agressive. Andrew has been selective breeding for over 30 years in an enclosed system and the improvements he has made is amazing.
    I have to say that I wish our president had been to see Andrew's bees before he repeated that stuff on dark bees in the September Scottish Beekeeper. Andrew wrote a cracker of a riposte in the current issue, and mentioned that Phil had witnessed bees at the Robsons in the borders in March which were vigorous and gentle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk

After visiting Andrews bees It proved to me that if you can get an isolated site and by careful selection and the hard work that Andrew has put in on selection it is possible to breed in good traits to Amm. Most of us are not in that situation. It is very difficult to improve your stocks with other beekeepers not on board and even worse if they are importing other strains of bees into your area.
    The bees on Colonsay are well worth protecting and could be a great resource for people wanting to improve their Amm stocks.

Hi Drumgerry,

Andrew uses the cupkit system and sometimes grafts. He produces a lot of queens each year. A possible way forward is to identify other Amm strongholds (Work in progress) and use material from Colonsay to increase or improve the Amm stocks in these areas eg Mull or Orkney and some areas on the mainland and then II from these stocks to increase the Amm areas.

Fair enough Jimbo. If Andrew feels his systems are all they can be that's great. But if he needs help or wants to expand into the realms of II he should have the funding to do so. After all he's doing something truly worthwhile as opposed to a certain other scheme funded to the tune of £200k

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I'd want other islands to be forced to keep only pure AMM. My apiary has pure AMMs and also West Coast mongrels. Like any other livestock, the AMMs are a variable bunch. Some are slow to build up - very slow - and don't produce much honey but because of the small numbers are easy to handle and give confidence to beginners. Other AMMs of ours are absolutely cracking colonies which gave a good crop this year and last year. Both varieties of bee and the in-betweenies in our apiary are delightful in spring and summer but require a little more respect at this time of the year.

It's a bit like folk who've only met nervous, nippy collies saying that they're all like that, while others know that a well-adjusted collie, trained properly and allowed to be a collie is the most delightful dog in the world!

BTW, it's not that easy to buy bees from Colonsay, especially if you're a beginner who doesn't want to fork out for a course, accommodation and travel ... then the nuc on top of that!

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    ... My apiary has pure AMMs and also West Coast mongrels. ...
    So how do you manage to keep your AMMs pure, Trog?
    Kitta

Hi Trog,

That interesting that you have mongrels on Mull. I have not come across any yet with the samples I have been sent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    I have to say that I wish our president had been to see Andrew's bees before he repeated that stuff on dark bees in the September Scottish Beekeeper. Andrew wrote a cracker of a riposte in the current issue, and mentioned that Phil had witnessed bees at the Robsons in the borders in March which were vigorous and gentle.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520 using Tapatalk
    A brief summary of that exchange is in order Gav!