Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonsay reserve approved!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    but how many are willing to pay seriously good money for it - and then work to distribute locally?
    Galtee queens are 30 Euro each. 10% discount for members of Bibba, GBBG or NIHBS.

Is anyone in Bibba producing more than a couple of dozen queens for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post

I guess that it is not 'ask what BIBBA can do for you...'.

There is also a problem in that those who have the good stock are not necessarily willing to share it.
    This has been the major triumph of the Galtee group, disseminating their success around the green Isle and further afield.
    I seriously think with the help of the internet, other like minded amateurs and groups (and possibly a few commercial beekeepers) all around the British Isles are on the brink of following this fine example and finally getting round to the holy grail of providing large numbers of realistic alternatives to imported queens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    There is no reliable large scale supply of AMM queens. There is however a ready supply of very highly bred queens with all the qualities you desire in a bee namely gentleness good health productivity fecundity low propolis production etc
    Do I want low propolis production? Not sure. Here's a photo from a very 'propolis happy' colony, it's not actually bad during the spring and summer when we're most interested in looking in but becomes very sticky during the turn of summer into autumn. I have another set of similar photos from the colony headed by the mother of this colony's queen.

SAM_1783.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by prakel View Post
    Do I want low propolis production? Not sure. Here's a photo from a very 'propolis happy' colony, it's not actually bad during the spring and summer when we're most interested in looking in but becomes very sticky during the turn of summer into autumn. I have another set of similar photos from the colony headed by the mother of this colony's queen.

SAM_1783.jpg
    Lol what are they making there some sort of bee art ?
    You might be right though propolis screens are only £2 at Thornes and health food shops instrument makers and people who get cold sores are crying out for the stuff
    Also you can guarantee your hive tool wont slip out of your pocket in fact you could park it on the side of the hive

Also you can guarantee your hive tool wont slip out of your pocket in fact you could park it on the side of the hive
    ...and you're joking!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mellifera Crofter View Post
    I'm sure you're right, Jon - but I thought that amused smile might narrow the field a bit. Sam it is. Kitta
    I know Sam Miller and I know that quizzical look!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Galtee queens are 30 Euro each. 10% discount for members of Bibba, GBBG or NIHBS.
    Any figures on annual output ?
    Last edited by mbc; 14-10-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Prakel, what are your bees doing with a bird's leg and half a pelvis in their hive? Did they bring it back as a trophy??

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Prakel, what are your bees doing with a bird's leg and half a pelvis in their hive? Did they bring it back as a trophy??
    I thought that was a bit of mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Yeah, it was a passing bee-eater

I thought that was a bit of mouse
    Seriously, I think that the Ranger has got it

SAM_1785.jpg

The point of this is that even queen attributes which have been held in high esteem for decades are not necessarily to everyone's liking. The propolis issue and the possible downside of breeding for low collection has been highlighted by Dr Spivak amongst others. A fine example of why we should think carefully, not only before introducing new stock (where ever it comes from) but also about what we choose to select against. Breeding groups may be a useful answer here in the sense that I imagine the interaction between members of an active group bouncing ideas around probably helps to reduce possible heavy handed decisions which could easily be taken by someone trying to work on their own.
    Last edited by prakel; 14-10-2013 at 10:46 PM.