Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Colonsay reserve approved!

Default Colonsay reserve approved!

Well it's a start....

http://www.scotsman.com/news/environ...vens-1-3128377

Oh and anyone who looks at the comments will see my exasperated reply to someone describing AMMs as lazy!
    Last edited by drumgerry; 06-10-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: More info

At last the government has woken up and has done something positive for once.

If there is only one beekeeper on Colonsay how will that work ?

Blog Entries

It means no one else can decide to keep Buckfast on the island and wreck 30 years of hard work put in by Andrew with his native stock.
    It's ok at the moment, but up to now there was no legal protection to stop some eejit new beekeeper keeping a different sub species on the island.

And it's not the biggest of islands. I don't see it being over-run by beekeepers. And if someone does decide to take it up at least there'll be some assurance for Andrew like you say Jon.

Thought Andrew's letter in the SBA mag this month was spot-on. My fervent hope is that the Colonsay decision is something we can build on and point to as an example to be followed on the mainland in appropriate areas. No reason this has to be an island-only phenomenon with the terrain we have here in Scotland. I have a dream of someday a similar reserve being set up in my neck of the woods say in Glenlivet. And of course elsewhere in Scotland.

Ok but lets say someone on Colonsay other than Andrew Abrahams wants to keep bees
    Are they to obtain bees from him or could they bring in AMM bees from Ireland
    How are AMM bees defined in this legislation
    Presumably all this has been covered in some way

I'll need to have a closer look at the SBA mag to see what the new legislation says on definitions - there's a fairly lengthy quotation of it in there. Unless someone else has it to hand and can answer DR's question first.

Hi Drumgerry

This is the press take on the legislation taken from the BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-24428707

A new law will come into effect in January, making it illegal to import any bee other than the Apis mellifera mellifera to the area.

My novices understanding is that to be certain bees are amm DNA tests are needed.
    Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Ok but lets say someone on Colonsay other than Andrew Abrahams wants to keep bees
    Are they to obtain bees from him or could they bring in AMM bees from Ireland
    How are AMM bees defined in this legislation
    Presumably all this has been covered in some way
    I asked a similar question on the other thread, having read the link which Gavin put up I saw no mention of specifically Scottish/British amm. I think that it's great that some effort has been made in this direction -thankfully in an area where no other existing beekeepers will suffer from finding that their colonies are now classed as illegal -during the middle of winter, five or six months before they would realistically have chance of requeening. I wonder whether French/Danish/Dutch amm are deemed to be as good (from a conservation reserve perspective) as Scottish stock for the purposes of the legislation.
    Last edited by prakel; 08-10-2013 at 08:23 AM.