Thread: Bees and volcanoes.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default Bees and volcanoes.

I am taking advantage of the strapline of this section - 'For those less-focussed discussions where keeping on-topic doesn't matter' and I am generally attracted to anything involving blether.

Trog seems to be worried about the west coast of Scotland becoming the new Pompeii complete with ash-entombed bees and beekeepers.
    There has also been speculation as to whether volcanic ash might be more effective than sugar dusting in terms of inducing a mite drop!

I came across these hives in February of this year about 15 miles from Popocatépetl.
    I was hoping to have a chat with Ardelio, the owner but he wasn't about the day I visited the ranch.

And just to show how volcanoes are old hat, In February we set up a scale model complete with baking soda and vinegar eruption long before Iceland was in the news!

I took the picture of the volcano erupting in December 2000 and the one with the fumarole is from around 1995. It used to put out a big ash cloud about a dozen times in the average day.

bees-volcano..jpg

vinegar-volcano1..jpg vinegar-volcano2..jpg

eruption-popo..jpg popo-fumarole..jpg
    Last edited by Jon; 21-04-2010 at 02:35 PM.