Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

Quote Originally Posted by Easy beesy View Post
    Hi Prakel - link broken, I'm afraid. Any suggestions?
    Hi Easy beesy, just tried it, worked for me first time.... so not sure!

Hope this works

Could it be a tapatalk issue? Never used it myself so I'm not sure, but I've double checked the link and used it while signed out, seems to go through all the time for me.

Hi the link works from tapatalk on my phone but it downloads it as a dog
    Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

All I can do for now is hope that Gavin can fix this example of my general techno ineptitude! -It is a very good resource and well worth looking up.
    Last edited by prakel; 21-04-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Hi prakel
    I've skimmed it on my phone and it looks very interesting, when I get more time I will look at it properly

Blog Entries

It is indeed a classic.

Can't have the forum raining cats and dogs (downloaded a dog??!!) but PDFs are usually quite acceptable. I added this alternative to Prakel's original post, a direct link to the file rather than via Google:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles...onHandbook.pdf

G.

Thanks for that - I was a little concerned to think of dogs appearing at the end of a link that I'd put up, I mean, where might it all end?

Sorry I meant pdf one of the downsides of replying from my mobile I'm afraid! The truth is I thought I had signed up to a dog breeders forum but somehow my jumbled typing has come out in such a way that you beekeeper types seem to know what I'm on about

I recently purchased COLOUR GUIDE TO POLLEN LOADS OF THE HONEY BEE - WILLIAM KIRK. On another thread I asked what colour OSR pollen was as the book shows it as being a greeny colour, following advice I emailed the publisher (IBRA) to ask if this was a printing error. This is the response I got from the author via the publisher.

"Such comments are usually a result of people not following the exact instructions about lighting. If people observe bees in full sun the pollen loads of oilseed rape look yellow. They then look at the book in a different light, possibly indoor lighting, and see that the colour does not match what they remember. However, it is very unlikely to match under different lighting or the wrong lighting. If they get a pollen load and place it next to the chart and compare them in indirect north daylight they should find it matches. Colours are very tricky and matching has to be done in the right way"

So this book, in my opinion, would be very useful if you are using a pollen trap or want to catch individual bees and prise the pollen off their legs, but if you are just observing the comings and goings at the hive entrance it will be difficult to get a proper match rendering the book useless.

Steven