Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Book thread/forum section

Senior Member Mellifera Crofter's Avatar
    Aberdeenshire, on top of a wind-swept and exposed hill.

Quote Originally Posted by gavin View Post
    ... PH's reply wasn't just not clear, it was wrong ...
    Thanks Gavin. I knew that - honest. I just didn't notice!
    K

The figures I gave were from the Encyclopedia of Beekeeping. Are you saying Gavin that worker eggs no longer take three days to hatch?

PH

I've kind of lost track of this discussion a bit so I'm going to change the subject and ask for any suggestions for module 1 reading bearing in mind I have the Yates book and intend to get Ted Hooper's book? Any more thoughts on the selective book that drone ranger mentioned

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I think it's quite hard to find books that deal specifically with the subject matter of Module 1 as it deals with more general hive, apiary and honeybee management compared to the other modules that look in more detail at specifics. Without wishing to trivialise it, Module 1 is a relatively gentle introduction to the Exams and, as such, most of the (UK based) books that cover practical beekeeping will be of benefit.

I like David Cramp's "A Practical guide to beekeeping" and The "Complete guide to beekeeping" by Jeremy Evans is also a reasonable book though very much geared towards beginners.

You can also do a lot worse than spend some time looking through the online catalogues for the major bee equipment suppliers, especially around the different hives on offer and where they differ from each other. An oft cited criticism around Module 1 is that it can sometimes seem fixated with having candidates know dimensions for the different hive types and frames, The Beekeeping Forum does have some sticky posts that cover this very topic as a result.
    Last edited by Neils; 07-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    ... any suggestions for module 1 reading bearing in mind I have the Yates book and intend to get Ted Hooper's book? ...
    Neil's post reminded me again about your question. Neil is right about just reading widely. The first book I read before I got my bees was Bees at the Bottom of the Garden by Alan Campion, and then I moved on to Ted Hooper. Somebody borrowed my Campion book and never returned it, so I don't know how I'd feel about it now - but at the time I liked it a lot. You may be way beyond it, though it might still help in preparing for Module 1. The BBKA Guide to Beekeeping might be useful, and in this month's SBA magazine Stephen Palmer recommends Bee Keeping - a novices' guide by David Wootton. He said it has been updated, so if you are interested in it, then buy, or borrow from the library, the 2011 edition. (I haven't seen it yet so can't say.)
    Kitta

I found Ron Brown's Seasonal Guide quite handy for Mod 1. And I assume you've discovered the Bucks Notes?!!

Hi thanks for all the suggestions, if I bought all those booked I'd maybe be cheaper bribing the examiner what are the bucks notes drumgerry?
    Steven

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Hi Kitta
    Alan Campion's Bees at the bottom of the garden is a good first book mine took the same route as yours and went on permanent loan
    It is a very good starter book though
    Jeremy Evans as mentioned by Neil is another very good first beekeeping book
    Don't know if they would help with any bee exam I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by snimmo243 View Post
    ... what are the bucks notes drumgerry? ...
    Somebody very friendly has created module guides and published them on the Mid Bucks Blog. See the links, bottom right.
    K

Blog Entries

Default Book thread/forum section

Quote Originally Posted by The Drone Ranger View Post
    Hi Kitta
    Alan Campion's Bees at the bottom of the garden is a good first book mine took the same route as yours and went on permanent loan
    It is a very good starter book though
    Jeremy Evans as mentioned by Neil is another very good first beekeeping book
    Don't know if they would help with any bee exam I doubt it
    In the case of Module 1 they will. It is very much a, pardon the pun, foundation exam.

Do you understand the differences in hive types? Why might you chose hive A over hive B?

Why do we use foundation and why would you use wired or unwired, perhaps none at all.

What are the considerations when choosing an apiary site?

Basic life cycle knowledge of the honey bee.

Swarm management.

What is robbing, how would you recognise and deal with it?

These are all the sort of topics that module 1 covers and that most beekeeping books (aimed at beginners) have at least some information about.

Hence it's difficult to recommend one book in particular and even while evan's book is very much geared to the beginner it still covers, if at perhaps a more basic level than you might need in some areas, most of the topics likely to come up in Module 1.